pricing???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

Do any of you sell your crafts or art?
Does anyone have a suggestion of how to determine how to price things to sell them?
I am considering trying to sell some purses like mine because so many people have commented on it and asked how to make it. I know about how much I have put into them for materials but not sure how much to charge. Kenn is going to try to sell them for me. I'm starting very small - only making two to begin in case they do not sell.
The only thing I can think of is to ask some people how much they would be willing to pay for one but I have to make a profit (more than paying for the materials) so not sure. I tend to underprice because to me it is easy to make the things I make so I guess I misjudge their worth.

#2 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:01 AM

I don't sell my art works or crafts (am not good at selling my own stuff, wish I was!!) :)

But I've heard that people figure what they want to be paid per hour....then they add in this amount for how many hours it takes to make the item. This is in addition to the cost of materials.

I guess it depends on the prices of purses in your area, too.

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:11 AM

GrandmaDee, did you make any purses to sell and decide on the pricing?

#4 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:53 AM

Well, I did make two purses and did decide on a price which my sister-in-law suggested but they would be pretty expensive. Now I know some people do spend a lot on things like purses (Vera Bradley for example) but I don't. Kenn ended up not putting them on the internet and I have no way to advertise them so I gave one purse to the sister-in-law who suggested the price and kept the other. She says when people ask her about it she is going to tell them she can get one for them.
I've deicded to let it go. If it happens ok, if not - well I am well supported by my husband and less work for me.
I do have at least one person ask me every week where I got my purse and say that they like it and have never seen one like it. I think there is potential unless they are expecting them to be cheap.
They can't be. The materials alone cost me about $30. A lady yesterday asked if I sell them. I said that I wanted to but didn't have anyway to advertise them. She suggested Harvest festival - get a booth. But I dont' want to risk that kind of money. I'd have to make a lot and pay for a table and if they don't sell, I'm stuck with a bunch of purses and out the money for the booth.
So I guess unless God makes it happen, I am out of business before I start. I am just not a sales person. I never could sell anything.
I think when Kenn asked about it he didn't realize how much time it would take to make each one. Thought I could mass produce them but that is why they'd have to be expensive. They take a lot of time and materials.
Thanks for your interest.

#5 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

It sounds like your sister-in-law as an advertising go-between is your best bet. Of course, she has to tell them the price, too. That might make some of them back off if they can't afford it. Let us know if anyone buys one.

#6 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

I've pretty much decided to let it go and not expect to sell any. It just doesn't seem to be God's will.

#7 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Ive struggled so much with pricing of my jewellery and most of the time underprice. I dont know if one could ever recover the cost for the time spent making their product. Still a very enjoyable craft, which I thank GOD for leading me into.

#8 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

Ive struggled so much with pricing of my jewellery and most of the time underprice. I dont know if one could ever recover the cost for the time spent making their product. Still a very enjoyable craft, which I thank GOD for leading me into.

Cleo, how long does it take you to complete a necklace? I think crafts like that are very relaxing. I have made alot of beaded Christmas ornaments and enjoyed doing it. Have so many that I haven't done any last year or this year! Sometimes I give some away...like today to the young lady that brings my mom her Meals on Wheels.

#9 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

It depends Deb but at the least, not less than an hour. Complicated pieces using the very small seed beads take 3 - 4 hours. This is why I commented that one will not be able to recover the time spent making a piece of jewellery, at least here in Zimbabwe. Maybe if one gets their stock for next to nothing, then they can, but its highly unlikely. Cost + labour + design & time x 2 for retail and x 3 for wholesale(this is a formula one lady I know uses but most of the time she has to reduce her price to get sales). i find that I am better off doing one off pieces as per a clients order - this way I can sort of make it.

#10 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

I can understand the time and effort it all takes. Your pieces must be beautiful. I did ask Adam to tell how to post the photos of the jewelry...will have to pm him again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name