Any thrift shop lovers here?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,013 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Our church has a nice, large thrift shop. I go over there to browse once in awhile and it's alot of fun. They have a multitude of different items, including a big book room. I have gotten alot of good Christian books there at a very reasonable price.

Today I bought a large, like new, pyrex dish for only 25 cents!! (w00t) Also, got a book (Letters to Saints and Other Sinners) for a dollar, and a note card with some cute kittens on it for 15 cents. I save alot of money by getting most of my birthday cards there.

In the past I have bought a few pieces of really nice jewelry there. I think one is an antique....a mother of pearl pendant.

I usually do not buy my clothes there, but they also have alot of that! Plus alot of children's toys and clothes...a real help to those in my neighborhood who are on limited income.

#2 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

I love thrift stores and garage and yard sales!!!!!!!
I go quite often mostly to look for books to send to my aunt and also for clothes for the kids or toys or whatever I see that strikes my fancy. (w00t)
I think I would never have so much money that I would not go to thrift stores and yard sales. :rolleyes:

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,013 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

In Phoenix, AZ, where my uncles lived, they would always go to "patio sales". You could get some really nice and expensive stuff to even furnish your house, at a very reasonable price!! Now that my uncle has moved up to the mountains in AZ, he has been having a "patio sale" in his mobile home park.

#4 twosday

twosday

Always Hopeful

• Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Jigsaw Puzzles, Gardening, Camping,

Anything Thomas Kinkade:)

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

I also love thrift shops & yard sales :D I haven't went to one in awhile, but will try to soon with the nice weather coming.
I actually like the thrift shops better than the yard sales. I have found some beautiful antique pictures of Jesus there. They are very old! One is Jesus looking down at the city & one is Jesus in the Garden praying leaning on a rock. He is wearing a beautiful purple robe. i also have found some other Christian items for reasonable prices!
Just love em :P

#5 3rd_ROX

3rd_ROX

Silver Member

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:God, Devotions, House M.D(the tv show), my youth group, Speech and Debate, tennis, Rock Climbing, Atlas Shrugged(the book), apologetics, Theology, Scholarships

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

I love thrift shops too!! My dad doesn't have a job right now so he buys things and sales, and Auctions, then sales them on ebay and at fleamarkets, too. So ya I've been to a lot of em and there great!!

God is Good,
3rd_ROX

#6 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,013 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Our church thrift shop will be closing temporarily in 2 months for renovations. It's in a very old, small apartment building the church owns. It should reopen and perhaps occupy a smaller space....right now it occupies the entire apartment complex of adjacent rooms. Maybe they will rent out the other space.

I dropped some donations off and browsed the other day. Just got a devotional booklet and two magazines. Everything is half price now....I spent only 35 cents!

#7 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

I went to the thrift shop yesterday looking for items for our ladies fellowship on the 24th. I am in charge of decorations. I didn't find what I was looking for but will probably go back this week as we are taking used clothing to this one to be donated to a group of students who go on mission trips and give out the clothing.

#8 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

A new bigger GoodWill store opened here today. It was pretty packed.

I went in search of some pants with an elastic waist which I'd like to have for when I get my bone density scan (osteoporosis runs in my family) next week. I never wear elastic waist pants so don't want to pay a lot for them.

Didn't find the pants but I did get a new t-shirt for David for 1.25, skirts for the girls for $3 each and 5 books for 69 cents each. Oh and a skirt to donate for our ladies meeting Thurs., also half price at $2.

#9 tash

tash

Unified freak of God

• Members
  • 3,456 posts
  • Interests:JESUS, singing,reading , christian music, shopping, and of course talking talking, talking,talking and last but not least TALKING;) and of course my husband

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

i loveeeeeeeeee those shops :D and hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaa tis me tash droppin in :D

#10 lizajane

lizajane

Zookeeper's Wife

• Members
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:history, books, cross-stitch, books, my pets, more books!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

ttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Jewels

Jewels

Needs a Life

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

My favorite thrift store is 'Saver's Thrift Store' in Sioux Falls,S.D. It's behind the Super 8 off of 41st street if you are ever in the area. :) I'm proud of my $15 work coat I bought the summer of 2006.

#12 Guest_ReinaRoelle_*

Guest_ReinaRoelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

We have a Christian thrift shop that benefits our county. We also have Goodwill but we donate as much as we can to our county one. Our church doesn't have its own shop but we do have a yearly garage sale.
Love,
Reina

#13 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,013 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Dropped off some donations at our church thrift shop today. They never closed for renovations after all.

I browsed but only got 4 note cards with different types of birds on them. I saw a very pretty bird figurine but figured I needed to buy it like I need a hole in my head. :) (I'm trying to weed out more stuff in case we ever have to move.) But if it calls to me the next time I'm there.... :)

#14 dreamsofdolphin

dreamsofdolphin

Suzie DreamsofDolphin - DOD

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  • Interests:In the process of improving and updating my interests. <br /><br />My family, Florida archaeology and history, &quot;beachcombing&quot; &amp; dolphin-watching!, gardening, crafting, tennis, conservative politics, poetry

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

I adore thrift shops!!! The place I get my hair cut has half of the building used as a consignment shop, so I look through it each time I get my hair cut. I found some beautiful light-weight sweater sets to wear to church and work, they were very inexpensive. I'm very hot natured and am always on the lookout for lightweight sweaters, esp for here in Florida. One is pink with black trim which is very classic in style, my favorite, so it'll last for years. I also got some good books I had been looking for and a couple little toys to give my nieces as gifts. I find a lot of gifts I give for birthdays and Christmas presents at thrift shops, sometimes with the tags still attached. Gift-giving is so expensive, if it weren't for thrift shop finds and making gifts myself I'd need an extra job just to buy the neverending list!

#15 Guest_Pastor Roger_*

Guest_Pastor Roger_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:42 PM

I got started in thrift shopping at the flea markets in Calif. and Arkansas. Other than the Goodwill store there aren't really any thrift shops in my local area now. I can usually get better bargains at WalMart than I can at Goodwill so I don't go there anymore.

I do go a lot to to the yard/garage sales during the summer and to estate auctions. There is a large church in a nearby town that has a "everything free" yard sale they hold in their basement once a year. I always go to that. I've picked up some nice computers, dishes and even some brand new clothes. They always seem to have a lot of yardage material and other sewing and craft items. Sometimes the yardage is just enough to make a shirt or pair of shorts for an infant but this year we were able to get a number of full bolts. My wife and I use the material to make quilts and clothes, not just for our family but for other needy families near us.

There was a family without renters insurance that got burned out of there home recently. We took them with us this year to the church give-a-way. They were able to get enough clothes for their kids to go to school, school supplies, kitchen ware, bedding and whole lot more. I'm glad that I have a van because it was full and they had their own car that was also full.

#16 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,013 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

Dropped off more donations the past week. Can't help but browse, too. :D All I bought was a small clutch purse with a South Western print. It was only 50 cents!! It is clean and didn't look worn.

#17 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

I dropped off donations yesterday at Sans Souci. Then last night one of the ladies at church said that they were putting out all new (used) stuff. So Laurie and I decided to meet there today when they opened and look. Two other ladies were there also from my church. We said we needed to stop and have a prayer meeting since there were so many of us. :teehee:

They had changed the store all around since the last time I was there and it was much cleaner and nicer.

A paper grocery bag of clothes was about $8 today and believe me you can get a lot in those bags. Laurie and I each got a bag. Most are for her family. I got a skirt and two pairs of pants... if they fit that is. Judy said if she has a bag nearly full she will look for things made of material that she can use for another purpose or things with pretty buttons on them. Today she had planned to look for a sweater because she had gotten a pattern to use a people sweater to make a dog sweater.

Had to rush home and eat as I was starting to be real hungry and for me that's a sign that I'd better stop. Hopefully some of the things we bought will fit.

#18 Guest_Pastor Roger_*

Guest_Pastor Roger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

Someone donated a lot of brand new clothes to the city housing project here. They are opening up their community center tomorrow for all of their residents to get all they want. This is the first time this has happened. My wife and I have been doing this in the past on a small scale but we are getting to where we can't do it anymore. One of the people in the office found out my wife and I were going to stop and they decided to step up to the task. They are going to take the few things we have to add to what they got so that takes a large burden off of us and still helps the community out.

There are several clothing closets in the area in local churches that carry a limited amount of used donated clothing they hand out completely free but this is all new clothes and a much larger amount.

#19 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

The only free clothing that I know of in our community is given out at Pregnancy Care Center and is only maternity and children's clothing. I know in the summer after the flood some of the churches were giving free items but don't know if any still are or not. They do do the Angel tree, coats for kids, shop with a cop and some of the churches take on a family or more that they know are in need at Christmas.

But at Sans Souci a person can get a large amount of clothing (some new) for about $8. So I always donate there. We also have Good Will but their prices are higher. I sometimes shop there but donate at Sans Souci which I think helps more people.

I noticed today someone had brought in a shopping cart of bread which was free. I didn't take any... we aren't really in need that much. Many are much more in need. I go there looking for clothes for my grandkids because with 4 kids and one salary they have trouble keeping up even with my daughter babysitting when she can and lately cleaning one day a week. Even they aren't as bad off as some but it's best to be frugal when you can.

#20 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,013 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

I remember my cousin in the Arizona mountains getting a bag of clothes for her young daughter for $5 at a thrift shop. But that bag was only labeled the size of the child and whether girl or boy. GrandmaDee, that's so much better that they allow you to fill a bag with what you really want.

I don't usually buy my clothes at thrift shops (have found a few nice items there), but I do shop only sales at the dept. stores. I get some really great buys....once I got designer name jeans for only $2.50 on sale at a department store!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name