• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J Random Christian

J Random Christian

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

Hey all, I've been doing some studying on the early Church for a book.  Of course, back in the day it was all house churches meeting in caves and crypts and odd places like that. 

There was even one in Rome actually meeting inside the Roman baths! (Yeah, that's got to go in the story. ;) )

It gives you a lot to think about, really. 

So, I thought I'd start a topic and see what you all wanted to say about that.

For instance:

* Relevance for today?  Pros / cons?

* Would you say these are these similar to small group / home group ministries, or is that something else?

* What about house churches in Acts vs modern missionary movements?

(For example see this missionary's video https://www.youtube....h?v=HV13FyMra54)

* Underground churches in China and other persecuted areas?

* What about coming end-times when everywhere is a persecuted area?

* Will non-institutional churches have a better chance of resisting political pressure?

* Would existing churches be able to transform into underground churches?

Just wide open, here.  What do you think?

#2 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Matt 18.20

so guess that could be anywhere, it doesn't have to be a specific type of building

There probably would be some similarity to small groups/home/cell group, but did that mean they still met together as a bigger number also on occasion?

?Having comparably relative freedom in the west right now, we can take for granted how we can freely meet, I think we would really value getting together with other believers where ever if that liberty was threatened

#3 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

*My response is after the dashes (-----).

For instance:

* Relevance for today?  Pros / cons?
-----I think it is relevant for today.  I think we should learn from the history of past Christians in case we have to go into hiding one day.

* Would you say these are these similar to small group / home group ministries, or is that something else?
-----I think house Churches\underground Churches are different.  I think small groups and other things are an extension of the Church, but not a full local Church itself.

* What about house churches in Acts vs modern missionary movements?
-----I think there is a similarity.  In many countries, people don't have the resources to build a Church building so they meet with each other in different places.  I saw a video of an underground Church in China and these people were crying because they had finally got a Bible.  I also heard a story of people staying all day at Church in China wanting the Pastor to preach on "everything" from the beginning of the Bible to the end.  Staying at Church all day is foreign to many western Christians.

(For example see this missionary's video https://www.youtube....h?v=HV13FyMra54)
------I couldn't get the video to load.  I think the "...." has something to do with it.  I've had a similar problem in the past posting links.

* Underground churches in China and other persecuted areas?
-----I think they are similar to the times in Acts.

* What about coming end-times when everywhere is a persecuted area?
-----We would just have to remain faithful, even if it would be very costly to us.  Jesus said to remain faithful no matter what.  He died for us so we should stay faithful to Him. In terms of eternity, the pain someone would cause us is very small and very limited.

* Will non-institutional churches have a better chance of resisting political pressure?
-----I think so since these Churches are more unknown than institutional Churches. 

* Would existing churches be able to transform into underground churches?
-----I think many small ones would be able to.  Not sure about the large ones.  The Pastor at my Church, which is a small Church, said one time if worst comes to worst that we would go underground.  Not sure where we would meet, but I'm sure we could find somewhere.

#4 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

I think the relevance of house churches can depend on the area you live in. For instance, in my neighborhood, some churches are really liberal (accepting gay marriage, a "pastor" not believing the Bible and actually admitting that and putting down people that believe in the Bible.) Also, I experienced one church recently that turned out to be legalistic...not an edifying experience.

So in the above situations, if one found a sound in doctrine house church, it would be good.

I know of a young woman that shares a house with roommates, and they have their own home church in order to reach out to their neighbors. The neighbors might not go to a church but feel comfortable enough to go to Mary's house. If Mary lived closer to me, I would try it.

I think home churches are a separate thing from small groups.

I think if the churches are liberal, they will not want to or need to go underground. They will continue to assimilate into what the popular culture is believing. If churches are Bible believing, they would make a way to go underground.

Besides underground churches in China, now there are Muslim background believers who must meet secretly as in their countries, they would be killed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name