Casting Your Care Upon Him

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:05 AM

Casting all your care upon Him; for He cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7

How gentle God's commands!
How kind His precepts are!
Come, cast your burdens on the Lord,
And trust His constant care.
His goodness stands approved
Down to the present day;
I'll drop my burden at His feet,
And bear a song away.

by Philip Doddridge

The Lord calls for our burdens, would not have us wrestle with them ourselves, but roll them over on Him. Now, the desires that are breathed forth in prayer are, as it were, the very unloading of the heart; each request that goes forth, carries out somewhat of the burden that goes with it, and lays it on God. Tell Him what are your desires, and leave them there with Him, and so you are sure to be rid of all further disquieting care of them.

by Robert Leighton

#2 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

Amen, Deb!  I've had to do this in the past and still do it today.  When I was going through something hard a few years ago, casting my care upon God helped tremendously.

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Yes, casting our cares upon God helps tremendously. It also seems once you learn to do that, it becomes like second nature to us...to do that.

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken; cast down but not destroyed.
2 Cor. 4:8-9

#4 Marilyn C

Marilyn C

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Oh the troubles and worries we have as we are trying to carry the burdens ourselves. Now my dear father, (promoted to glory) always said -

`worry not, doubt not and fear not.` Good thoughts and a life time of learning.

Marilyn.

#5 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

A wonderful saying from your dear father, Marilyn!

#6 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

That is a good saying by your father, Marilyn!

This is a hymn that we have in Church sometimes:

What a friend we have in Jesus:

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
  All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
  Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
  O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
  Everything to God in prayer!
Have we trials and temptations?
  Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
  Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
  Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
  Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Are we weak and heavy-laden,
  Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
  Take it to the Lord in prayer;
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
  Take it to the Lord in prayer;
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
  Thou wilt find a solace there.

#7 Marilyn C

Marilyn C

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:45 AM

Hi Tim,

One of my all time favourites. You really have to go far to top some of those old hymns. I do play the piano and love some of the modern hymns and choruses, however I think whatever has ministered to our hearts at a certain time runs deep.

What were you brought up on? If you want to share.

regards, Marilyn.

#8 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:36 AM

I was brought up with the wonderful old hymns, and miss them alot. The words have so much meaning, and the melodies are lovely, too.

There are so many favorites, but "Be Thou My Vision" and "It Is Well With My Soul" always come to my mind.

#9 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

Hi, Marilyn.  As far as Christian music, I started truly following the Lord in 2008.  About that time, I started listening to contemporary Christian music.  Later on when I joined the current Church I'm going to is when I started appreciating the older hymns more for their richness.  

Before 2008, I listened to mostly secular music.  Now days, I listen to all types of Christian music.  I'm actually listening to Chris Tomlin at the moment.

#10 Marilyn C

Marilyn C

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hi Tim,

Wow 2008. That`s wonderful. And great to hear that you appreciate all kinds of music about the Lord. Chris Tomlin writes good songs. What one are you listening to?

BTW I was brought up believing in the Lord, wanted my own Bible at 5 which I still have. I drew lines under words, just copying my father, (lol). When I was a teenager I made a public commitment at a Billy Graham Crusade, (`Just as I am without one plea....`) Tended to meander in my 20`s till God challenged me to make Him Lord and not just my Saviour. I went to Bible college and have had a real hunger not only to know God`s word but to mentor others, sharing with them.

I think you and Deb do a great work here, encouraging, and mentoring in a way, people from all over. Would love to hear some of your testimony also if you care to share. 

all the best, Marilyn. 

#11 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:15 AM

Tim, maybe you want to share more, too?

I was raised in the church but didn't really understand about Jesus being my personal Savior until I was 22 years old. I met a gal at the office back then, and she told me she found peace with God through accepting Christ into her heart. So after that, I prayed on my own for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into my heart...and He did!

Did attend Bible College for awhile in Portland, Oregon...minored in missions.

#12 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hi, Marilyn, I was listening to "How great is our God" by Chris Tomlin. Yes, he does sing some of the best modern worship songs. 

I called myself a Christian before 2008, but I'm not sure if I was ever truly saved.  In 2008, I went through a lot of anxiety episodes.  I believe this led me to call on the Lord.  I'm not sure the exact day I was saved because I was confessing Romans 10:9 over and over again for many days lol.  Anyway, I was soon showing the evidence of salvation.  I couldn't watch the things I use to watch any longer and I started getting sinful things out of my life.  I started growing in my salvation.  I embarked on a quest to read the entire Bible... I finished the New Testament pretty quick.  The Old Testament came years later lol.  But, I read the New Testament over and over again.  I used apologetics sites to answer my questions and learn even more.  Later on after I was saved and mature in my faith, God started showing me His plan for my life.  I'm a whole lot more joyful being on God's plan. I've had to learn some lessons the hard way (could have avoided them if I would have listened to God and His Word), but God's plan is a whole lot better than the plan I had for myself.  :)

That's my testimony in brief. :)

#13 Marilyn C

Marilyn C

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Deb and Tim,

What a joy to read of your walks with the Lord and lessons learned - yes often painful at the start. So glad to get to know you both as we journey on. I believe the Lord brings different ones into our lives so we can encourage and share with each other. It is the great Body of the Lord -

`....joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes the growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.` (Eph. 4: 16)

Many people get tricked into thinking that man`s religious organisations are the `church` and measure what the Lord is doing by `bottoms on seats.`  Whereas the Body of Christ is a spiritual organism unified by the Holy Spirit, yet growing to maturity in Christ as we encourage and exhort each other, and all the more as we see the day approaching. (Heb. 110: 25  Eph. 4: 13)

One of my favourite topics - the Body of Christ.

Probably my most favourite is - Christ, His character and His purposes.

So we have lots to share over time, ay. Marilyn.

#14 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

I agree the Body of Christ (church...called out ones) is not the buildings, although born again believers often meet there.

I always attended church regularly, and I loved hearing the Word of God preached and going to church. However, it's very odd, in my senior citizen years...I have had difficulty finding a good church in my area!

One church I attended for over 25 years got a pastor who turned the church gay and then admitted he was gay. So then I attended another church for several years, but they then got a pastor who spoke against the Bible in a sermon and to me (I am not making this up)!

Then I left that church and was without a church for a few years. I finally found a Korean church with an English service, but after they began a membership drive after a couple of years, they then wouldn't serve me communion and the pastor thought I was sinning because I didn't feel led to formally join them! After this incident, I got ill for nearly this entire year (could hardly walk for some months) but that got me out of that church...so maybe God's way of removing me from a somewhat legalistic environment.

But these experiences do give one a perspective or understanding about others that have gone through hard or hurtful times at churches. And perhaps they don't realize it's not Christ that is hurting them... it's people, and we are all fallible. But the Lord will never hurt or fail you, so don't ever turn away from Him.

I know there are many good churches and if you are blessed to have good pastors and churches in your area, that is wonderful!

#15 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:53 AM

When I first got saved, I went without a Church (building type of Church atleast) for a few years.  I would read the Bible, study the Bible, and pray on my own. I would also watch Christian TV channels and sermons online.  I did have fellowship with other Christians by joining Christian websites, including this one.  It was later on in 2013 when I finally found a local Church, which is the one I'm still attending.  I did go to a different local Church briefly in 2011 for about a month. However, the current Church I'm going to is good.  The Pastor preaches biblically and we sing the old hymns.  The Bible Study classes are also good.  We frequently study entire books from the Bible..... My only complaint is that sometimes, I do feel out of place because there is pretty much no one there that is my age.  There are a few, but almost all are married and have families of their own.  I haven't really got close to anyone there.

I think the 25-35 age range is frequently over looked in Churches and because of that, many quit going. 

#16 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

It's funny I had the opposite situation, because the last church (Korean) I went to was all young people in their early 20s. There were only about 8 people a bit older. The young people were all very nice Christians but they were governed alot by the leadership there, rather than being taught about our personal relationship with Christ being the most important part of our lives, and that is how we grow spiritually.

#17 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

I've thought about finding a second Church (biblical) to go to, one with people closer to my age.... Not leaving the one I currently go to, but just finding one to go to like at a different time like Wednesday evenings or Sunday evenings.  I would still go to the one I'm currently going to on Sunday mornings.  Or, maybe alternate Sunday mornings or something....

#18 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

That's a good idea, Tim...since the one you go to now is one you like alot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name