Several Wildfires Los Angeles Area!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

We currently have four wildfires burning, and they are uncontained. One is only 5% contained.

The problem started yesterday with the high Santa Ana Winds, which are dry winds.

The first fire, the Thomas Fire, last night was at 5,000 acres...today it has destroyed over 50,000 acres! Because of the high winds the water dropping helicopters and tanker planes were unable to fly. Also, the winds carry the hot embers and start other fires.

With the Thomas Fire, at least 27,000 people have been evacuated. Animals have been evacuated also, including horses. At least 150 buildings destroyed as of now.

The other three fires started today.

If you are interested in seeing news coverage, check out Channel 4 News Los Angeles, KTLA News Los Angeles or Eyewitness News Los Angeles. You can view it on their websites or load their apps.

The fires have been on TV all day long.

#2 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

I think I saw something about it on the news earlier.

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:42 PM

If you check our local news, they have extensive coverage.

#4 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Another wildfire started today, it's smaller but near the Getty Museum and Bel Air homes. Bel Air is richer than Beverly Hills, just some trivia.

Containment is still nil because of the Santa Ana Winds. I think they died down some but supposed to pick up again later.

#5 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

I've seen coverage of it off and on throughout the day.  It seems all the major news outlets and also the weather channel is covering it.

#6 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

Heard tonight at the Creek Fire, 110,000 people have been evacuated.

Santa Ana Winds getting stronger again.

#7 SongBird

SongBird

Cat Lover (Animal Lover) :)

• Moderators
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, animals, meeting new friends.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

Are you in any danger of these several new wildfires Deb?  If you ask me they all were set fires.  I do not believe they are random fires, especially that many.

Keeping everyone in prayer for safety! 

#8 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

I live in the heart of the city so I am not affected by the wildfires.

We often get wildfires at certain times of the year because our vegetation is extremely dry and is usually scrubby brush chapperell on the hills and in canyons. Anything can set it off, even a spark.

The reason these are so bad is very windy Santa Ana Winds came. Because of that, the water dropping helicopters and tanker planes were unable to fly for quite a long time, especially at night. So the wildfires really got a foothold.

Also, because of the heavy winds, hot embers got blown around like crazy and started other fires.

#9 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

This afternoon another wildfire broke out. This one in Murrieta which is about halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego. The other fires are all North of us. Still very little containment on them.

#10 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Last night a man was detained after witnesses saw him in the brush with a fire. They detained him until the police came. Haven't heard the news about it yet today.

#11 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

That guy will probably spend some time in jail or pay a huge fine. 

#12 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

I didn't hear anymore about him on our news so I went to abc7.com, local station, and found an article about it. They think the man is a transient, so since they tend to live in one location, I don't think he did any other fires.

It's just so dry here...our humidity levels are currently in single digits.

#13 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

Yesterday a fireman got killed fighting the largest fire, the Thomas Fire. It's still raging...will get an update on today's news.

The Skirball Fire near the Getty Museum (was the smallest fire), they found out it was accidentally started by some homeless making a cooking fire. They try to keep the homeless out of that area for that reason... it's rather like wilderness canyon/hill area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name