Peace Rest Communion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:28 AM

Aquaint now yourself with Him, and be at peace:. thereby good shall come unto you.
Job 22:21

Don't be unwise enough to think that we are serving God best by constant activity at the cost of headaches and broken rest. I am getting to be of the opinion that we may be doing too much. We want -- at least this is my own want -- a higher quality of work. Our labor should be to maintain unbroken communion with our blessed Lord; then we shall have entire rest, and God abiding in us; that which we do will not be ours, but His.

by John Kenneth Mackenzie

#2 Marilyn C

Marilyn C

Big Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:22 AM

Hi Debp,

That is a very `now` word I believe. This world would `drive` people to always be active, thinking that they will `miss out` on something if not looked at, read, done, thought of, etc etc. I so appreciate just having a rest in the avo and quietening my spirit to rest, be quiet, let God refresh me, and then I know that when I am with others I will always have that encouraging word, that insight into how to listen, help, be there for others.

Good check is to think - Am I being `driven,` (by the world & self) or am I being `drawn` by God.

Blessings, sis, Marilyn.

#3 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:14 AM

Always appreciate your insights, Marilyn!

Yes, getting/being quiet before the Lord is essential...one doesn't hear about "the quiet time" much anymore. When I was a young Christian, "quiet time" was stressed very much. It's different than simply studying the Bible, although the Bible is used in the quiet time.

Sometimes reading just a verse or two, and meditating on them, helps our communion with the Lord.

#4 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

I try to have quiet time shortly after I wake up.  My current devotion time at the moment involves me reading a chapter a day out of the Bible (just started Luke) and praying.  It does vary sometimes.... At times, I may read multiple chapters and read through a prayer book.  I think reading the Bible and praying every day is important, even if someone has to start off small.  When I first started off years ago, it was hard for me to read a lot.  For quite a while, I would only read a few verses a day.

#5 Marilyn C

Marilyn C

Big Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

Hi Deb & Tim,

Yes I also like to meditate on one scripture or a part of what I`ve read, as to `digest` what God is meaning. And the wonderful thing about God and His word is that it brings nourishment, again and again, however long we meditate on it and learn to appreciate Him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name