Safe but Major Fire in my apt bldg!
Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:26 AM
This morning about 5:30 a.m. I awoke to the smell of smoke, and a neighbor guy yelling "fire, get out of the building!"
We grabbed pre-packed bags that contain important papers and mom's diabetes medication. Tried to run out the door, smoke already heavy in hall...but firemen were racing to the apartment on fire and told us to shut the door...go back inside.
Smoke was heavy in our apartment but slightly better in the bedroom. Miss Kitty ran and hid.
The fire started in 207 around the corner, we are in 206. After quite awhile firemen escorted us out of our apartment, water dripping from the hallway ceiling and rugs soaking wet.
The fireman took me out front (lots of people out there from our building, it's big). But I couldn't find my mother for at least half an hour. Kept asking firemen and a couple police about her being missing.
Finally a neighbor came by and said my mom was on the big patio by the pool sitting in a chair with another lady. She's 87 so needed to sit.
The fire and water demolished 5 apartments...first through third floors. We are very blessed that we only had slight water damage from our ceiling.
Red Cross came and helped those burned out.
Our building is very long so the Western wing is totally ok...and our neighbors there were very kind letting us use the toilet, and one neighbor bought us food... wouldn't take any money for it.
Our Eastern wing of bldg where we live will have to be redone...lots of soot and water damage.
But praise God, He protected us and our apartment! And Miss Kitty!
Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:05 AM
Oh wow!!!! Glad to hear you and your family are safe!
Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:54 PM
So glad you, your mum, Miss Kitty and the apartment are OK. What a trial & scary too. How kind of the neighbours, things like that can bring us together.
God has His eye upon you all, Marilyn.
Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:05 PM
One of them was across the patio so we escaped ok. But the last fire, we also got trapped...the 911 operator kept me on the phone too long...guess he thought I was a prankster as I said the neighbor was dragging a fire hose while in his underwear so there must be a fire! Finally, he heard our smoke detector go off over the phone and sent fire department.
This was the worse fire though. I looked at that end of the building today from outside and you can actually see the sky...no ceilings. Also, our hallway outside of our door is a disaster. Hope they can start fixing it up soon.
Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:09 AM
Saw the apt 108 people...the Red Cross gave them vouchers to stay at a hotel. They hope there's an empty apartment here that they can move into until their apartment is fixed up.
BTW, Thank God for the man who called 911... apparently, he was a person just walking down our street and he saw the flames! We were all sleeping 5:30 a.m., so none of us could have called.
The fire must have been burning for awhile to get visible to someone on the street!
Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:22 AM
Amen, Deb! Thank God for that man that was walking!
Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:18 AM
When I came home with some bags, they took the bags and escorted me down the little steps by my apartment. They put the bags inside my place, too!
Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:34 AM
Today I heard a fire captain say because of the layout of our hall (it bends around the corner) that this fire was very hard to fight. It should have taken 10 minutes to fight but it kept getting bigger and took 40 minutes to knock down! He said they nearly lost some firemen! Two firemen did get burned.
Apparently, a big fireball came out of the apartment, too, as they got it opened!
Anyhow, they were here today talking about how to approach this kind of layout in the future.
They also had fire fighters fighting it on our roof as well as the hallway.
I'm thankful they didn't get hurt worse or die. They really do a wonderful job, our Los Angeles Firemen! They saved our lives and our apartment.
Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:14 AM
Deb, thank God you, your Mom and Miss Kitty are safe and sound! That is extremely scary situation to find yourself in. I watched the YouTube video and the one thing that bothers me most about that situation is they reported the fire alarms did not go off. Some inside the apartments did but not the common way alarms (hallways). That must be fixed if you are going to stay living in a complex that large.
I'm keeping you and all of your neighbors in prayer!
God bless you and continue to keep you safe in his protection.
Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:43 PM
I am now at the deli using wi-fi. At 4:45 a.m. this morning our fire damaged wing, first thru third floors, we lost electric.
Electrician is looking for short circuits right now. Lots of water came through all of the ceilings in our Eastern wing of bldg, mainly in hallways. We did get slight water from our apt ceiling.
Nobody heard any smoke alarms. Since mom and I were trapped in our apartment, I know for a fact that our alarm did not go off for a very, very long time!
Hope they can get our electricity on today.
Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:00 AM
A couple apartments with more water damage still no power.
Oh, the fire fighters were here again today! I don't know why, unless it was because of our electric problem.
Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:28 PM
Praise the Lord He spared you and your apartment. That is a traumatic thing
to happen and I'm happy you are safe and didn't lose your home. We live in
an apartment too, and I always pray over the building.
When we were in California in our camper, we were staying in a campground. All of a sudden we
decided to go out and get some coffee. When we came home there were firetrucks all over.
The camper next to us blew up. If we had been there we would
have been trapped in our camper, the car would have gone because everything
was so close together. There was a baby left alone inside that was burned
and they had to fly the child out by helicopter. I never learned if the baby
survived. The parents lost everything, it was their only home.
I will check out the video. Thanks for letting us know. God bless. - Tea
Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:23 PM
Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:17 AM
With the hallway now lit, I can see that our hallway wall which backs our dining area was on fire! It burned down to about 4 feet from the ceiling! So we were close to losing our apartment!
The hallway rug along #205, 207, 208 and nearly to 209 is totally burnt up...gone!
Ran into one of the gals from #108...they are finally back in their apartment. They had to stay at a hotel this whole time. She said the Red Cross only gave them a hotel voucher for the first night.
Saw my neighbor, Emily, from #208 last night. They are ok. She said when she fled her apartment the fire fighters were already in the hall fighting it. She woke up because their windows all exploded due to the intense heat.
Another neighbor's (#108) windows exploded, too. They all thought someone was breaking into their apartments!
Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:33 PM
What made God's protection so apparent is that the fire was already going about 5:30a.m. when I woke up. Everyone, more or less, was sleeping, so totally unaware of the fire.
The people in #207 where it began were not there, so the fire was able to grow.
Again, thanks be to God!
Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:45 AM
I did hear that it started in the bedroom. I hope the lady didn't have a religious candle burning...I think she was Catholic and the stores here sell tall religious candles.
Also, one news station reported that she was at church at the time of the fire! Out here, maybe there too, only the Catholic churches have services that early.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users