Journeys in Japan

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Lovely, interesting program, regularly seen on the NHK station from Japan.

Today they visited Hokaiddo region in the North. Visited three ice festivals in three cities that were so pretty... sculptures carved in ice, many so huge. Ice tunnel to walk through...

At one city, they carve 300 lanterns and light them with candles at night...so pretty! They carve the 300 lanterns each day as they melt from the candles.

That region is so cold, getting winds from Siberia so one city has an underground shopping arcade/street. Very interesting.

You can get an app on NHK...they have many programs on travel, etc.

#2 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

That underground shopping does sound very interesting.

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

Yes, in such a cold climate, that would be really great!

Oh, they also showed how one of those cities has bags of gravel at what looks like newspaper racks. You can take a bag and scatter the gravel on the icy sidewalks. Some little children were doing it so no one would slip and fall.

#4 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

We usually use salt when our steps get iced over.

#5 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:23 AM

When I lived in PA as a child, we also used salt. I always hated slipping on the ice but at least as a child, you don't have far to fall!

#6 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

One winter, think it was 2014, we had a lot of ice.  I slipped and fell many times that winter, mainly because I would adventure out trying to get pics and videos of the snow and ice!  We also live on some hilly terrain so that didn't help any!  :lol: 

#7 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:03 AM

Thankfully you didn't get hurt...but I guess that's more of a problem for older people!

Talking about photos, my missionary friend would sometimes send me photos of the cherry blossom trees...really pretty. Cherry blossom time is a big thing in Japan.

#8 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

My neighbor has a couple of cherry blossom trees that bloom pink and white flowers every Spring!  I've got quite a few pics of them.

#9 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

Wow, that's really lovely! I would love that...

On our street we have red, Bottle Brush trees. Around 1995 there was a big tree planting effort in Los Angeles. I asked the man leading the effort in our area if we could have the Bottle Brush trees as they bloom year round. All of the neighbors dug the holes and planted the trees...the city brought in Subway Sandwiches for us all.

There are also Jacaranda trees in Los Angeles. They have beautiful lavender flowers each Spring.

#10 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

Sounds very nice!  I'm not familiar with those trees so I'll look them up after I post this.

#11 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

....Just looked them up and wow, they are both nice trees!  I especially liked the Jacaranda trees. 

#12 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

Yes, such pretty trees. I never saw them until I moved to L.A. Hummingbirds like the Bottle Brush trees alot. There are also Lemon Bottle Brush trees but I prefer the red ones.

Each Spring there's a time when you can smell Jasmine trees here...the scent really carries.

#13 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Do you have honeysuckles there?  They bloom here in Spring and last through the majority of the summer.  They bring a really nice scent with them!

#14 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:34 AM

I think there are honeysuckle vines here but I don't see them in our neighborhood. We had them in PA, they really have a lovely fragrance.

#15 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Did you know you can eat the nectar out of a honeysuckle?  It has a sweet taste.  There is a certain way to get it out.  Have to be careful though because the berries are poisonous.

#16 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

As kids we used to lick the nectar! We would tear off the very bottom and pull the thin thing out of the bottom...that has the nectar on the tip.

#17 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Yes, that's the way I learned it!  I taught some nephews and nieces over the past few years.

#18 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

But you are right, some plants are poisonous, so you have to be careful.

#19 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, the berries on the honeysuckles are poisonous. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name