Overview

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:04 AM

Will start an overview of Revelation...will add to it as time goes by. Information gathered from Berean Seminars.

The Book of Revelation was addressed to the 7 churches:

Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergomos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.

Three problems the people faced were:

Persecution
False teaching
Temptation

Revelation's other name is "The Apocalypse".... meaning to reveal or unveil.

Two reasons the word Apocalypse is an accurate description of the Book:

Shows future.
Shows spiritual system behind world.

To be continued...

#2 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

The Apostle John wrote the Book of Revelation in the first century A.D.
He was exiled to Patmos for preaching.

How is the book organized?

Chapters 1-3 .... Introduction.
Chapters 4-5 .... God's throne in Heaven.
Chapters 6-20 ... God's unfolding judgement and mercy.
Chapters 20:11
Through 22:5 .... God's Throne in New Heaven and New Earth.
Chapter 22:6-21 .. Jesus Christ returning.

To be continued...

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

Why is this book difficult to interpret?

3 genres in one.
Symbols.

The three literary genres in Revelation:

Letter.
Prophecy... present aspect and future aspect.
Apocalyptic...final judgement of evil, radical end of history and triumph of good.

To be continued...

#4 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

Four ways of interpreting Revelation:

Preterist... Everything happened in first century and it's finished.

Historicist... It's a map of history.

Futurist.... Chapter 6 and on are future events.

Idealist.... Spiritual meanings, relevant to every age.

Note by Debp:. I believe in the Futurist interpretation. Also, I think we can draw spiritual insights from the book.

To be continued...

#5 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

Purposes of Revelation:

Encourage church to stand firm, resist persecution, false teaching and temptation.
"God will win, you can overcome."

Three keys to interpreting Revelation:

Historical context.
Old Testament context.
Context as a Book...keep to the main point.

#6 Tea Tyme

Tea Tyme
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Hi Debp,

I finally got on here. Things have settled down a little. I am interested in Revelation and glad you are doing a study on it. I see it quite a bit differently as some, probably because most interpretations come from Cyrus Scofield and he made some mistakes. I did a video on it for Youtube and am hoping to do more. Regarding interpretation methods, I noticed in Rev. 1:20, that Jesus has to show John what the stars and the candlesticks mean. In other words, we have to rely a lot on the Lord revealing the meanings to us like He did for John because so many elements in the book represent other things and we if we interpret them too literally was can make mistakes.

Hope all is well. I'll try to get back on Saturday, we have therapy and dentist tomorrow. God bless.  Tea

#7 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

Hi Tea, so glad to see you!

The above was an overview of Revelation, information from Berean Seminars, presented by a pastor.

When I attended the study, I actually thought it would be more on interpretation of the more difficult things to understand, etc. So if you have any input, you are welcome to put your ideas here. Hope to see you soon...

#8 Tea Tyme

Tea Tyme
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hi Debp!

I'm back. I actually have written two books on Revelation so far and I'm working to combine the third one with the first two. So far I've got over five years on it . It's an expository study which is important because unless you go verse by verse, you can miss something. I did a Youtube video on the five interpretation myths. Most of our interpretations today come from Cyrus Scofield and he made a lot of mistakes. I didn't understand Revelation at all and I believe the Lord showed me a more viable interpretation.

Go ahead and ask me a question and and I'll try and see if I've covered it. This is a link to the "Five Myths" video I did. - https://youtu.be/EQgqxc4gV1w

Talk to you soon.  Tea

#9 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Hannah, I did listen to the video. I'm not very knowledgeable on the Book of Revelation. Does anyone else have a question?

I take it that you are a pre-tribulation rapture believer? I am. Always believed the Lord wouldn't subject His children to the horrible 7 year Tribulation period.

#10 Tea Tyme

Tea Tyme
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hi Debp,

I believe that the Lord is going to remove His faithful remnant before the "Hour of His judgment in Chapter Fourteen, but there will be Christians being birthed during that time as well and there will be some going through it, and many will be martyred as they are being now in other countries. I was just working on Chapter Fourteen and those who are martyred at that time are called "blessed."  I would rather be called blessed and die for the Lord than be classified with the compromised who take the mark of the beast at that time. God bless. Tea

#11 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

Yes, I realize that there will be believers after the rapture of the present believers.

I listened to your video the other day and if I recall it right, you mentioned the two witnesses were the church. However, in Rev. 11:10 the two witnesses are called the two prophets:. "And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another, because these two prophets tormented them that dwell on the earth."

#12 Tea Tyme

Tea Tyme
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:49 AM

Hi Debp,

The two witnesses represent the remnant church that has not succumbed to apostasy. They are called candlesticks in rev. 11:4 so they have to be churches, there is no other application for the word in Revelation. They are called prophets because they are messengers of the truth of God's word. The word prophet means messenger, although some of them probably are prophets. Their death in the streets of Jerusalem symbolizes the fact that the gospel they are proclaiming is silenced in the streets there. It is illegal to preach the gospel openly in Jerusalem. It can also mean that the truth of their message is being ignored because of the apostasy of the times. Their death symbolizes the martyrdom that is currently being inflicted on believers all over the planet. Jerusalem is also used in the scriptures as a parallel to the Christian church, so they are also symbolically being rejected from within the church.

We have to remember when interpreting Revelation that these are visions and dreams and things in them are designed to represent other things so it can't be read as literally as the rest of scripture. In Rev. 1:20, John  has to be told what the stars and candlesticks represnt or he would not have know their meaning.

God bless. It's real early in the morning herre and I have to go back to bed. God bless. - Tea

#13 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

What makes me think that the two witnesses are actually two prophets is that after they are killed, they are resurrected back to life by God.

Rev. 11:11-12 - Now after the three and a half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they (the two witnesses) stood on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them. And they heard a loud voice from Heaven saying to them, "Come up here.". And they ascended to Heaven in a cloud, and their enemies saw them.

We can agree to disagree though, Revelation being such a different book than others in the Bible.

#14 Tea Tyme

Tea Tyme
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

Hi Debp,

I think there could be two representatives as well.But we can't ignore the fact that they are called churches/candlesticks. But I think the resurrection is symbolic of a short period  of revival when people think the Gospel message is no longer a problem. Note that the people are celebrating the death of these witnesses. The world and the apostate church are happy the convicting voice of true Biblical Christianity is no longer tormenting them,-  then comes the revival, then the rapture as they go up in verse 12. The Lord showed me this morning to pray to send His remnant into the street with miracles.  Pray! God bless. "Tea."

#15 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:11 AM

Well, like I said, we can agree to disagree. : )

#16 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:52 AM

Our Bible study is on the seven churches in the book of Revelation. Not only am I enjoying the study thoroughly, but I am learning so much too. Indeed, we are to let the word of GOD shape our inner parts and His feet will crush all who compromise with the world.

#17 Marilyn C

Marilyn C
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hi Debp,

I also love to study the book of Revelation, thank you for starting this. Now I like the way Dr. Charles J.Rolls presents Revelation, the unveiling of Jesus Christ as He is known in the heavenly realms. We see 4 major visions of the Lord -

1. as Head of the Body,

2. as Heir of the World,

3. as Mediator of the New Covenant,

4. as Judge and Maker of all things New. 

So as we move along in the study it will be good to also look at the unveiling of the Lord in these aspects.

What do you think? Marilyn.

#18 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Marilyn, for your post! Please do continue on with the Study, it will be interesting to have some more input.

#19 Marilyn C

Marilyn C
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

Hi Debp,

Thanks, I enjoy talking with others about the unveiling of our Lord Jesus, (Revelation). I believe the Father has such delight in revealing to us more of our precious Lord. If we didn`t have the book of Revelation we would not have a complete picture of Christ as He is known in the heavenly realms.

How will we progress in this study, - a chapter at a time or........

Marilyn.

#20 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:11 AM

Whatever you like to do is fine...or if someone has a question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name