Hurricane Irma

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

So soon after devastating Hurricane Harvey, we now are having Irma....a category 5 hurricane along the Atlantic. Some Caribbean islands have already been hit hard, and it's expected to hit Florida by the weekend. People are stocking up on supplies and also evacuating.

Dear Lord, help all of these people to escape safely.

#2 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

Irma is probably the strongest hurricane I've seen on this side of the world.

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

Yes, one island was destroyed 90%!! I have a cousin in Miami... don't really hear from her much and she changed her phone number. Also, have a cousin around Tampa and a couple cousins in the Pan Handle of FL.

#4 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

I've been watching it on and off throughout the day and the track has shifted slightly west.

#5 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

One of our local news stations sent a reporter to cover it...our channel 5 Los Angeles...KTLA.

#6 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

It hit Cuba yesterday and has weakened some because of that.  But, they're still expecting a turn north and re-strengthen some.  If they keep shifting the track west, then we'll have to watch it.

Every once in a while, hurricanes will come over Arkansas.  We can get gusty winds, heavy rain, and occasionally we'll get tornado warnings. 

#7 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:19 AM

I phoned one of my cousins on the Panhandle of FL. He didn't seemed concerned but the storm was still way South of him.

I'm glad the hurricanes weaken by the time they reach you, Tim.

#8 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

It appears the storm did re-strengthen to a Category 4 and made landfall in the Florida keys.  It looks like it may make another landfall sometime today.

#9 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

Yes, it did... forgot the name, one of the islands, I think. Watched live news coverage from FL all afternoon. Around Tampa now...I sure felt for those reporters braving the terribly strong rain and wind!
They really were earning their paycheck!

Many without power and the electric company says it will take weeks to restore power.

Oh, a reporter interviewed a homeless man...he and other homeless were taking shelter in a parking structure!

#10 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, I watched live coverage also.  The reporters on the weather channel sure took a beating from the wind and rain.

An elevated concrete parking garage would probably be the best place to go to shelter from a hurricane.  But, even there you would have to careful.  As you go up in elevation, the winds get higher and with the different floors (assuming their open to the outside), the wind can get constricted causing it to speed up even more.

We're suppose to get some rain tomorrow and actually think it's going to be from the hurricane!

#11 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

I see the tail end seemed to be over the FL panhandle earlier today. Guess my cousins got something after all.

#12 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Our weather is cloudy today and raining occasionally from the tropical system (no longer a hurricane).

#13 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

I do miss the rain but of course don't want to go through a hurricane!

#14 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:26 PM

We didn't get any rain or tornado warnings today from the tropical system.  It felt like regular rainy\cloudy day.  In fact, it was very cool today and felt like late Fall instead of late Summer\Early Fall. I don't think it hit 70 today.  It probably was steady around 65.  It's suppose to warm back up though into the upper 80s and lower 90s.

#15 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Cooler here, too. Today was 79. Supposed to be around that or low 80s this coming week.

Hearing about some deaths in FL due to the heat at a nursing home. Also, someone's generator's fumes seeped into the home and killed the family....awful.

#16 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

There's a lot of devastation in Florida (and Texas as well).  The clouds and rain cleared out early this morning here.  Then, the sun popped out and it heated up to about 85 degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name