Judgement for Christians?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:02 AM

Would appreciate some input on whether Christians will be judged at the final judgement. I always thought our sins are washed away by the Lord so we will not come into judgement. Some months ago I heard a young pastor say Christians will be judged for everything!!

Dr. David Jeremiah, a very good pastor, says the judgement for Christians is only about receiving rewards. I respect him as a pastor and think what he says is right.

Any input? Thanks!

#2 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

Maybe this verse is helpful?

John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."  (KJV)

#3 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

In addition to my last post, I wanted to point out that true belief in Jesus and true salvation will result in a person being willingly (but not perfect as no one is perfect) obedience to God.

#4 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Thanks Tim, yes, that verse and your further thought is very helpful. True, no one can be perfect...only the Lord is and He is our righteousness.

When we are told "be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect"…..I have read and have been taught that the perfect in that verse means "be complete". It doesn't mean sinless perfection...none of us can achieve that.

Anyone else feel free to add your thoughts.

#5 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

I've studied that verse also, Deb and came to the same conclusion that it means complete.  I just looked it up again and looked at a lexicon for that word that is translated "perfect".  Here's the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance definition for it:

KJV Lexicon (Strong's Exhaustive Concordance):

teleios  tel'-i-os:  complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.);

#6 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Tim for looking it up.

We all need to take care not to fall into legalism. Legalism can hinder or even turn people away from the wonderful life that is in Christ. And sometimes a legalistic person might not even know the Lord.

I heard a young seminary student preach and he preached on the importance of kindness. He was raised legalistically...so when he taught Sunday School, he was that way with the younger kids and he was sorry for how he was with them.

He gave an example of what he was raised under: When he and some other boys were just fooling around a bit, a man from the church put them in a room in the basement of the church, he told them to get down on their knees and repent. Then this man turned the lights out, left, locked them in that dark room....and left them there for 30 minutes alone!!!

I was in disbelief that a leader in this young man's life could have been so cruel. I will say that the unkind man and the young boys are from another country, and I guess the man was treated that way...with severe discipline, rather than being lovingly corrected.

A lesson for all of us in how to best minister to others...

#7 TimM

TimM

Wowweee Member

• Moderators
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, there has to be a balance. 

#8 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Would love to get some more input on this subject and also the dangers of being a legalistic church.

I recently experienced a church that seemed somewhat legalistic, wanting to control, etc, rather than letting the Holy Spirit lead us in our lives. If the legalism affected me as a Christian, I can empathize with someone that is not a Christian or is a baby Christian that has been hurt in such a church.

#9 Marilyn C

Marilyn C
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

Hi Debp.

A really important topic, as I believe most of us have been raised in a legalistic environment. I believe that Jesus has saved us from judgment at the Great White Throne. Our names are enrolled in heaven,

`...you have come ...to the General Assembly and church of the first-born who are registered in heaven...` (Heb. 12: 23)

We are `set` in the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit,

`God has set the members, each one of them, in the Body just as He pleases.` (1 Cor. 12: 18)

We are being built, fashioned to maturity in Christ,

`...till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect, (mature) man, to the measure of the fullness of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 13)

The Lord is doing this by His Holy Spirit in our lives. Then when we are`caught away` we will go to the Bema seat of Christ where we will be given rewards for what we have done by the Holy Spirit in our lives. Our attitudes will be exposed and what is not of the Lord will be burnt up, (as it were) and what is of the Lord will remain.

`...each one`s work will be manifest; for the day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one`s work, of what sort it is. if anyone`s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone`s work is burned, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved yet so as through fire.` (1 Cor. 3: 13 - 15)

Marilyn.

#10 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

Thanks much, Marilyn, for the helpful input.

When I had Spiritual Life class in Bible College, the elderly pastor (one of the founders of Multnomah), always stressed the most important thing in our Christian Life is the Quiet Time with the Lord...our personal relationship with Christ.

I think legalistic churches can sometimes stress church membership instead of the relationship with Christ.

When we nourish our relationship with the Lord, we will be led of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. Of course, fellowship with other believers is important and hearing the Word of God preached. But the personal walk with Christ is more important than "formal" membership in a church.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name