Lemons

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:56 AM

Most people are familiar with the traditional uses for lemons to soothe sore throats and add some citrus flavour to our foods. However the diversity of applications for lemons far exceeds general knowledge and once you read the following list, you’ll likely want to stock at least a few lemons in your kitchen 24-7.

Fruit and Vegetable Wash
You never know what kind of pesticides or dirt may be lurking on the skin of your favourite fruits and vegetables. Slice your lemon and
squeeze out one tablespoon of lemon juice into your spray bottle
. The lemon juice is a natural disinfectant and will leave your fruits and vegetables smelling nice too.

Keep Insects Out of the Kitchen
You don’t need insecticides or ant traps to ant-proof your kitchen. Just give it the lemon treatment. First squirt some lemon juice on door thresholds and windowsills. Then squeeze lemon juice into any holes or cracks where the ants are getting in. Finally, scatter small slices of lemon peel around the outdoor entrance. The ants will get the message that they aren’t welcome. Lemons are also effective against roaches and fleas: Simply mix the juice of 4 lemons (along with the rinds) with 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water and wash your floors with it; then watch the fleas and roaches flee. They hate the smell

Deodorize Your Garbage
If your garbage is beginning to smell yucky, here’s an easy way to deodorize it: Save leftover lemon and orange peels and toss them at the base under the bag. To keep it smelling fresh, repeat once every couple of weeks.

Purges the Blood
We consume a lot of junk food or food with a lot of preservatives and artificial flavours. This builds up a lot of toxins in the blood and body but daily consumption of lemon water helps to purify the blood.

Eliminate Fireplace Odour
There’s nothing cosier on a cold winter night than a warm fire burning in the fireplace unless the fire happens to smell horrible. Next time you have a fire that sends a stench into the room, try throwing a few lemon peels into the flames. Or simply burn some lemon peels along with your firewood as a preventive measure.

The other day I got an oil stain on my shirt, so I mixed some lemon juice and a bit of dishwashing liquid together and dabbed it onto the oil stain, left it for a while then rinsed it off. The oil mark disappeared.

Please add any other uses of lemon or lime you might have.

#2 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:07 AM

Adding  a slice of lemon or lime in your dishwasher gives a nice smell!

adding lemon when you rinse your hair , especilally helps a greasy scalp x

#3 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

Wow, Lilacday, I must tell my daughter about using lemon juice to rinse hair. Well, I have suffered with heat rash, even as a young child. A few backs back I had the rash on my face. I had nothing in my first aid box so decided to use whatever i could find. Unfortunately this caused an even bigger flare up. Weeks later I have managed to bring the flare up under control but I have some marks on my face. Today, I put some lemon juice on the marks left behind and I will be sure to let you know of the progress.

#4 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

Im happy to report that a bit of lemon juice dabbed onto my face has done wonders. I dipped my finger into the juice and then dabbed it over the affected area. There was a slight sting but only for a few seconds and probably because my face was a little tender. Anyway, I left the lemon juice on my face and went to bed. I woke up in the morning and saw that there was a great improvement! Yay! This afternoon, I came home and rubbed some olive oil into my lotion and rubbed it over the affected area. My face is almost back to normal. Tonight I will dab some lemon juice again and I will update you further.

An Indian friend of mine also gave me this home treatment for the face - rub honey onto your face and leave overnight. In the morning rince your face with a mixture of lemon juice and water. Do this once a week if possible.

Still, another Indian friend says that when she has guests over, she prepares a jug of water with some lemon juice and mint leaves. She says that it is very refreshing, not to mention health.y

#5 ponsel

ponsel
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

Lemon juice heals internal ulcers too! :)

#6 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

I tried using lemon juice to highlight my hair before but it only irritated my skin. It might work for people without sensitive skin however.

#7 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:05 AM

fionadrummond do you suffer with a sensitive skin/scalp? It would be interesting to hear what you use as a shampoo, face cream? In the daytime I use plain aloe vera gel on my face and in the night simple rosehip oil. No flare ups so far. My scalp, neck and ears reacted very badly to indigo which I used to dye my hair with henna. However I heard from a lady about making up a gel from arrowroot powder and then using this to mix up the indigo. I tried it and thank goodness my scalp didnt react. Phew!

#8 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

As seen in Morocco, lemons which have been preserved, lend an excellent flavour to a stew

#9 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,418 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, old architecture.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:16 AM

I like lemons... especially lemonade. Enjoy the fragrance, too.

#10 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

I had some lemon-lime gatorade today while mowing.  It was refreshing since it was pretty hot today.

#11 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,418 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, old architecture.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

lemon Lime sounds good.

#12 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

Yes I like a lemon and lime drink too. Will make a nice popsical too.

Sliced lemons if manipulated in a certain way can also be used to decorate a cake

#13 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,418 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

Years ago I used to sometimes get donuts filled with lemon, very tasty.

#14 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Making me hungry for some donuts!  :lol:

#15 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,418 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

Lol

#16 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

some people put a lemon slice in the dishwasher to give dishware extra squeaky clean feel and fresh smell.

I used some lemon to clean a stainless steel surface, it done a good job of getting rid of grease and gave a nice shine :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name