Will64134

Silver Member

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:GOD, The Word. Friends -
    Doing the next right thing.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Ephesians 5:18-21

Although God wants every believer to be filled with the Spirit, many Christians are not sure what this means
or what it looks like. To help us understand that whatever fills us controls us, Paul cites drunkenness as a negative example of "filling" and tells us to avoid it. Every believer is indwelt by God's Spirit, but the extent of His rule is determined by the Christian's freedom to comply.

Think of this as a voluntary choice to surrender your life to the Holy Spirit's control—in other words, to be sensitive to His leadership and guidance, obedient to His promptings, and dependent upon His strength. The evidence of the Spirit's control is revealed in a person's character. Those who have yielded their lives to Christ's leadership are continually being transformed into His likeness. The degree of surrender determines the level of
transformation.

Even though good works and faithful service are a result of being filled with the Spirit, they are not necessarily signs of it. Remember, we are talking about character, not what we do. It's easier to serve the Lord in some manner than to love the unlovable or be patient with difficult people. But when the Spirit is in charge of our lives, He does through us what we cannot do for ourselves.

Each believer decides who rules his life, by either actively surrendering to Christ or deliberately going his own way. Even those who try to avoid the issue by making no choice at all unknowingly opt for self-rule. The fullness of the Spirit and godly character await those who choose God over self.

#2 Guest_Jeremiah2913_*

Guest_Jeremiah2913_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

sobering words but leads me to ask where I am failing. I've been told many times that understanding will come with the blessing of The Holy Spirit and that excludes me from the equation then. Sometimes I wonder who or what I might really be, how to search when you already feel sincere?

#3 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:26 AM

sobering words but leads me to ask where I am failing. I've been told many times that understanding will come with the blessing of The Holy Spirit and that excludes me from the equation then. Sometimes I wonder who or what I might really be, how to search when you already feel sincere?

Jeremaih no one is excluded, God desires us to have His Holy Spirit operating in our lives and filling us. We are all still growing so just because we dont 'feel it' sometimes it does not mean He is not there.

Luke 11:13
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

and it is a process, obviously it takes time, as we spend more time with the Lord, we will get to recognise His voice or promptings more as we grow.

#4 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Jeremaih no one is excluded, God desires us to have His Holy Spirit operating in our lives and filling us. We are all still growing so just because we dont 'feel it' sometimes it does not mean He is not there.

Luke 11:13
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

and it is a process, obviously it takes time, as we spend more time with the Lord, we will get to recognise His voice or promptings more as we grow.

Jeremiah, Lilacday gave you a good answer.

Being filled with the Spirit is learning to yield more to the Holy Spirit in your life. For example, resisting the alcohol, mean words, or whatever else one feels convicted by in their hearts. And, yes, we are all still growing....

Remember there is Justification where Jesus has saved us. And there is Santification where the Holy Spirit is helping us to grow and become more holy/more like Jesus. Santification is usually a gradual process, although it can also be faster in some. None of us is or will be totally holy though, until we are in Heaven.

#5 steph12

steph12

Little Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

That completely makes sense.

#6 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:35 AM

Came across this really good topic again...well worth all of us reading it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name