Teenagers

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:14 AM

I hear this alot lilacday. One lady tells me that she no longer 'chases' after her son. Sends a message now and again and stays in prayer over his life. I pray for Daniella as she has left home and now cleaves to a new life. Ive taken up a care and discipleship course at church and Im learning much about not 'interfering' in my children's lives. Hard, but by GOD'S grace, I understand. I have been pondering on my relationship with my parents. Im very careful to be in touch through the week and every Sunday after church i visit for the day. Who said parenting was easy?

#62 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

I've never been a parent (except to my cats lol) but I do understand it's not easy from what I've seen going through life (observing others with children).

I do think we shouldn't cram a lot of "stuff" on to children or anyone else for that matter.  We need to guide, etc, but not in a controlling fashion, as that sometimes leads to rebellion. 

#63 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Very true Debp...... It is so easy to want to control them .....but no one can get into their hearts and minds apart from God...... Also children are a gift and like all gifts they come from God and belong to HimHim so all we can do is pray.....like you say, and guide but its up to them if they want to listen.
Cats are cute! But still independent? Do they have different characters and personalities??

#64 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

Oh yes, cats do have different personalities from each other.   My cats I've had through the years, though, were not independent.  They were very close to me and even followed me around.  Only my Amber (first cat) was independent.... :icon-cat:

#65 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

We had a power outage for days last week. One evening it just so happened we all ended up in the lounge around a burning candle. One told some jokes and had us all in stitches. Then one of the girls commented how strange it was that the darkness brought us together to share in jokes and laughter. For a while it took our minds off of being miserable at having no power.

I recently purchased a couple of Christian board games and now and again we get together to play. Board games are fun. At present, I have three teenagers at home. One leads a very busy life and I hardly get to spend quality time with her. Im glad that she enjoys the board games and Im grateful for this time.

Lilacday, do you have a consistent devotional time with your teenagers?

#66 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

Cleo, unfortunately I don't have a set devotional time and to be honest, they would not sit with me to do that as its not really part of their life.
I do sometimes pray with them if they share something with me and

#67 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

When I was young, my mother never had a devotional time with me but I knew she really believed in the Lord and she prayed alot.  She sent me to Sunday School each Sunday (and church) and sometimes she and I would go to special worship services together.

I'm not sure I would have sat still through devotional times (like your kids Lilacday) but I did love the special worship services and I always believed in the Lord, although understanding of salvation came much later to me.  I think children observe their parents, and if it's a sincere, loving faith in God, this will have a good effect on the children.

#68 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

I do believe the seed is there in our children and like you, Debp the understanding of salvation may come much later for them. We do sometimes have discussions and it encourages me what they come out with! My son confessed something to me that happened while he was still at school and it encouraged me that God had his hand over a certain situation....having said that one of them has decided that they don't believe in God, but I am beleiving that they are on a different journey and because God is faithful, He will meet them where they are at in His timing.
The game sounds like a good idea Cleo :)

#69 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

Sounds good about your son, Lilacday....shows his conscience was working.  And believing about your other child to come to faith later, that is so true.  We all grow at different rates spiritually so it's not good to push too much heavy stuff on someone that might be at a less mature place spiritually.  It's ok to talk about spiritual things and our faith in God, but not good to push someone about it, I think.

#70 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

Because some of our teens may look older than they really are, we may forget that they still may be emotionally immature.....

#71 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

sometimes when your older teen brings a friend round, the friend converses more with you in half an hour than your own child has in a week!!!  (ha ha, experienced recently!!)

#72 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:05 AM

Isn't that funny?! I guess your teen just sees too much of you! Probably when your teen gets a little older, he or she will want to talk more with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name