Who is Thomas Kinkade?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

Thom Discovers His Talent Early

Thomas Kinkade was born in 1958 and grew up in Placerville, California, (near Sacramento) with his mother, older sister and younger brother. His family knew at a very young age that Thom was a gifted artist. At age 4, he was correcting the perspective of a roadway that his sister had drawn beside a house in a picture. From that age on, his direction was set. By age 13, he was painting at a professional level in oil, much to the amazement of his fine art teachers at the local high school. He sold his first painting at age 11 for $7.50. The woman who bought it remembered thinking at the time, “I’d better hold onto this picture. It will probably be worth something someday.”

excerpt from Thomas Kinkade Gallery website

#2 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Thom attends art school:

Thom chose Berkeley for his first two years of college. During his years at Berkeley, he spent hours at the Oakland Museum, studying the paintings of Thomas Hill, Albert Bierstadt, and George Inness and other painters within the luminous movement of the 19th century. Thom loved the traditional forms of art, but at Berkeley, the philosophy seemed to be, “Express yourself, FOR yourself” in a very self-absorbing , self-focused way. Thom decided that the purpose of his artistic talent was to enrich the lives of others, and to pursue this goal, he enrolled at the Art Center College of Design located in Pasadena, California.

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

Thom Writes His First Book

In Berkeley, he met and became fast friends with a fellow artist by the name of James Gurney, who later became the author of the best selling book “Dinotopia”. When Gurney joined Thom at the Art Center, the two decided to take an adventure over the summer aboard boxcars. They would stop by pubs and start out by sketching the bartender. Thom would give the sketch to the barkeep and ask if he could paint the patrons that came in. The bartenders usually said yes and Thom would set-up at the end of the bar with a jar and a sign that read, “Sketches - $2.00”. People enjoyed the sketches so much that Thom and Jim thought it would be a great idea to teach people how to sketch. So they said, “Let’s write a book”. One night they spent hours on the pier above the Hudson River and banged out what became “The Artist’s Guide to Sketching”. The book is now worth about $500.00, if you can find one.

#4 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Thom Returns to Placerville

In 1983, Placerville Library commissioned Thom to do a painting of the town to hang in a new library facility. He researched the history of Placerville through oral histories, archival photographs and old fire-insurance maps. He chose a rainy afternoon to give it a nostalgic feeling, and he recruited friends and family to pose for the central figures. He even painted a miniature self-portrait on a poster hanging on the wall below the post office sign. Prints were made and sold from a card table outside the local grocery store for $35.00 apiece as a fundraiser for the Friends of the Library. Five years later they were reselling in local galleries for prices as high as $2,000.00.

#5 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

I like Kincade and I like Tricia Romance and Terry Redlin and a few other realistic painters. They appeal to the masses because they are not artsy but subjects they know and like. So what if they produce the same kind of paintings. They are things that sell and they make a living from their art. What could be better than that.

For those that scoff at realistic art and say you can get the same thing from a camera--you can't. Sure you can take great photos, but you are limited to what is there and the light source is what the light source is in reality. A realistic artist takes what is there and edits what they don't want and adds what the does and creates a mood or puts a light source where they want it to be. That will always appeal to people if not to those who thinks their genre of painting is better than realistic painting

So scoff if you will and stick your nose up at those of us who paint realistically, we will continue to paint in the genre of our choice and you can go about working in yours. If the artsy crowd doesn't like it too bad. I'd just like to see the paintings of those who say they can paint as well as Kincade.

To those who say he paints the same thing over and over I beg youi to look at picasso Did he not paint the same thing over and over

#6 Mjw

Mjw
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, hanging out, Graphics design, crafts, good music, movies...

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thomas Kinkade is one of my favourite artists! 'The painter of light' His paintings bring with them a certain joy. And the little details that elaborate on a story intrigue me!! <3

#7 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Around Christmas the past few years I've seen Kincade cards. Bought a few boxes of them to send out but last year I changed off. Still partial to pretty snow scenes though.

#8 Guest_Chuckt_*

Guest_Chuckt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I met Thomas Kinkade. He brought his art to the Christian school where my wife taught. He auctioned off one his paintings and the money went to programs for the school.

We brought some art of his to be signed. They didn't know for sure if all of it was made by them because there are individuals around the world who shamelessly reproduce his art. But Thomas signed our paintings on the back of the frame.

#9 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Nice of him to help the school and sign the artworks.

#10 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

I love his Christmasy themed paintings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name