Photo

Sin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Whren

Whren

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Bible study to the meat of it all. Geography. Hunting down loving true people.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

There is sin of soul, sin of the flesh, there are 7 deadly sins, there is the original sin of Adam and Eve, sin is sin, sin of the 10 commandments, hidden sins that hurt oneself only and the Lord of course, will people please post to help deal with it all.

#2 Jennifleur

Jennifleur
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Video Games (yes, I play!), Serving at church, Spending time with friends and family, Keeping up with news - especially as it relates to Bible prophecy, etc.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

I would say that there is a difference in these sin, in that they all have different earthly consequences. Telling a lie and the consequences that follow are probably going to be a great deal different than extramarital (or even pre-marital) sex and the consequences that ensue. But, if you are asking about a difference as it relates to eternal consequences, Scripture is clear. We are told the wages of sin (and that is singular, meaning one sin is all it takes) is death. In James, we are told that if we have committed one sin, we are guilty of them all, of breaking the Law that is given in Scripture. That is why everyone, regardless of what sins they might struggle with (because we all struggle and are susceptible to different sins), needs the forgiveness and salvation Christ offers.

I'm not sure if my response answered your question in any way, but I hope it helps! :)

#3 Whren

Whren

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Bible study to the meat of it all. Geography. Hunting down loving true people.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

I would say that there is a difference in these sin, in that they all have different earthly consequences. Telling a lie and the consequences that follow are probably going to be a great deal different than extramarital (or even pre-marital) sex and the consequences that ensue. But, if you are asking about a difference as it relates to eternal consequences, Scripture is clear. We are told the wages of sin (and that is singular, meaning one sin is all it takes) is death. In James, we are told that if we have committed one sin, we are guilty of them all, of breaking the Law that is given in Scripture. That is why everyone, regardless of what sins they might struggle with (because we all struggle and are susceptible to different sins), needs the forgiveness and salvation Christ offers.

I'm not sure if my response answered your question in any way, but I hope it helps! :)

You have and to think I got a reply.....just warms my heart! I feel like I just struggle with it all in a sense, like my thoughts just seem sinful at times. Goodness I don't do anything. Even that seems a sin.

#4 Jennifleur

Jennifleur
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Video Games (yes, I play!), Serving at church, Spending time with friends and family, Keeping up with news - especially as it relates to Bible prophecy, etc.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Well, there is the sin of idleness... But, here is how I tell people to look at it. Sometimes, we compare ourselves to other Christians, thinking, "Wow, they really have it together, don't they? They are on fire for God and do so much for the church and the community..." The problem is, none of us should be comparing ourselves to other Christians. All Christians should be comparing themselves to Christ, and if we do that, we all fall miserably short. We just cannot compare. And that is why we need grace - our good works are not what save us. Also, this isn't a question I want an answer to, just something I want you to think about. How long have you been saved? Now, think back to how you lived up until that moment, and think about your life now as compared to then. If it's a very short time, a year or less, the changes you notice are probably small. But, the more time passes, the more changes occur. They seem small at the time, but they add up to huge changes in our character over the years. And the fact that you do care and that you are trying to change is evidence that the Holy Spirit is working in your heart.

Remember that God did not send Christ into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world. There is no condemnation for those of us who are in Christ. It is good that you are concerned with becoming more like Christ. That is the "race" that Paul speaks about through his letters. If you're looking at how far to go, remember that we ALL have a long way to go. None of us will be holy and unblemished until we are with Christ in eternity. Until then, remind yourself of how far Christ has brought you.

In Scripture, silver represents atonement and sacrifice. Silver, in order to be purified, must go through a refining process. It is often used as a metaphor to describe the Christian life. In order to refine silver, it must first be heated, to cause the largest of the impurities to rise out of it so that they can be skimmed off, removed. It has a chance to cool, but then must be reheated hotter than the last time. Each time, the silver is heated even more, and smaller and finer impurities come to the surface, so that they can be removed. Each time, the silver becomes more refined and purified. Like silver, we as Christians go through fiery trials that test our faith. We have sins that we struggle to overcome. In the beginning is when God works to remove the greatest and most devastating sins from our lives, such as major addictions we might have. But, with the years we walk with Christ, and the trials we face, He works on the sins that are less noticeable, the ones considered "smaller". Through this process, we become even more aware of our "impurities", and this can discourage us. But don't let it! This is a process, and with each step, even if you do not realize it, you are being conformed to the image of Christ. You are becoming more like Him! Our thought lives are really the final stronghold, as all sin starts with a thought, some stray idea that comes to our minds and tempts us. And our thought lives will never be perfect, and we will never be free of temptation, until we are at home with Christ. But rest assured, God sees your struggles and your sacrifices, your obedience and your attempts to please Him because you love Him. And you will be blessed because of it. :)

#5 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

You have and to think I got a reply.....just warms my heart! I feel like I just struggle with it all in a sense, like my thoughts just seem sinful at times. Goodness I don't do anything. Even that seems a sin.

Hi Whren, glad to have you here and we hope you'll feel at home here.

Jenn has given you some really good, Biblical answers so I don't have alot to add. About your thoughts, I would say when you are convicted by the Holy Spirit about certain thoughts....immediately confess about them and ask the Lord to help you with your thoughts. Then realize you are forgiven right then and there...."If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

Remember you are seen as righteous through Jesus (imputed righteousness). Of course, we should always confess our sins in order to experience fellowship with the Lord.

Be careful you don't fall into a "works" faith....of course, we should have fruits or works as a result of our faith in the Lord.....but never feel that the Lord expects you to "do things" in order to be saved. The things we do should come out of our lives as a result of our fellowship with the Lord.

#6 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:23 AM

Happened across this topic again and was blessed to re-read it. Hoping others will find it helpful, too.

#7 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Post Crazy Member

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Reading good Christian literature, Listening to music, Travelling, Craft work, Meeting people, Ministry work, Helping people

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

I was blessed indeed, thanks Deb. The grace of GOD brings me to my knees.

It is a real joy to read what has been written by some of the excellent ones on the earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name