• Please log in to reply
939 replies to this topic

#921 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

Sounds very nice!  We live by a pond and once we go over the hill to get to it, you can sometimes feel a difference especially with the wind.

#922 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:14 AM

The pond sounds very nice. Do you fish in it? Are there ducks on it? Growing up in PA, I always loved the woods. Sometimes my dad would drive us there or a few times we had little vacations in the countryside. I left there at 16...now I know there is so much more to see there, like covered bridges or Amish country.

We also would fish on the big rivers in Pittsburgh. We would throw the fish back or sometimes dad would give them to a poor family fishing for their dinner.

#923 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:04 AM

I have fished in it, but it's been a long time.  There use to be some ducks that lived on that pond, but that was 10+ years ago (except the last duck, he was around longer).  Now, we get some geese and mallard ducks to fly in, but they don't tend to stay long.

We have some state parks nearby that I like going to.  We go there to hike, but one of them we've also gone camping to before.  But, the one that is close by we go to once or twice a year.  My sister and I and also two nephews walked all the trails that they had back in 2012. It took about five hours and we were all pretty sore the next day.  Now, they have some new ones that I have yet to hike, but want to.  There's also a nice waterfall there when we get heavy rain.

#924 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

Sounds very pretty and the waterfall especially.

What kind of wild animals do you have around your campsites? Here in our Sequoia National Park two hikers got stared down by a mountain lion for 15 minutes! They finally backed away and camped elsewhere...on our news today about it.

Even here in L.A. we have mountain lions (a few in our big Griffith PARK), many coyotes and bears. The coyotes and bears often come into the city. One time a mountain lion came into the city and unfortunately was killed...he had holed up in an office building's entryway.

#925 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

We have mostly small animals around the campsites and also our area: raccoons, opossums, rabbits, squirrels, armadillos, skunks, etc.  But, we do also have coyotes (heard some a few weeks ago), deer, bears, and some big cats (panthers and bobcats I believe...may have mountain lions as well, not sure).  I've never seen bears or any big cats in this area.

One year while we were camping, my dad had a showdown with a racoon while me and my Mom had gone walking around the campsite. He heard it messing around on the picnic table. He got up and it left..... It came back a second time and when he got up this time, it didn't leave. Eventually, somehow he made it leave. My mom and I didn't see it, but it sounded quite funny.

During that same camping trip, me and my mom went into a nearby town and when we got around a corner, 3 deer were in the road. They didn't seem to be scared of us, but when another car came they went leaping into the woods. As we were leaving, we seen two more deer in the woods and one of them stomped his feet at us. I think he was telling us he didn't want us there watching him eat!

#926 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

My friend whose daughter was stalked by the coyote, saw a small herd of deer on her front lawn in the wee hours! This is in the city. People have built homes here that took over wildlife habitat... that's why we have so many wild animals. I am in the heart of Los Angeles so only saw an opposum once many years ago...across the street...it startled me as I walked my little dog.

Oh, also saw a coyote as our friends drove us to see Christmas lights. It was just a short distance from a few guys relaxing in a park!

Your camping trips sound nice...are there facilities for restrooms, etc? I can remember going behind a bush as a child for the rest room!

#927 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, there are facilities at the two campgrounds that I've mentioned.

#928 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

That's good...including showers I guess. That's not bad.,.the worst thing about roughing it camping is no showers!

When I was a kid and we rented a cabin...one place had a spring with a faucet for drinking...the other places each had a well. One well was just clear water covered by a board, you could see tiny critters at the bottom and we boiled that water. The other well you had to draw a bucket up with the water.

#929 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:50 AM

The facilities at the camp grounds has showers, but they usually have a lot of grand daddy long legs (big spiders, not sure what they're called elsewhere).  So, a lot of people probably avoid the showers. :lol:

That's interesting about the wells!

#930 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

We call those spiders Daddy Long Legs. I don't think they bite, do they?

On our bldg's long patio, I sometimes see Black Widow and also a brownish spider. I hope the brown one isn't a Brown Recluse, also know as a Violin Spider. Their bite is quite dangerous...I heard of someone getting bitten and needing amputation!

I take care of all the patio trees and plants since we came under a new management company two years ago and they are very bad. We have gone through a slew of managers and they seem only wanting to collect a rent check and calling the maintenance man to do stuff. The current manager told me she didn't have time for such things as watering patio plants! And the poor maintenance man, a very nice guy, is having to work at four buildings!

Our old manager under a different company hosed the trees, etc, every two weeks. And I would water my own plants extra...now I have to do them all about every three days since they dry out and I don't have a hose. Some tenants would just let the building's trees and plants die but I hate to see that happen,

#931 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

There's been a myth out there for a long time that says that grand daddy long legs are the most poisonous spider in the world, but their mouths are too small to bite humans.  After research, I came to find out that it's a myth. 

Not sure if they bite, but I'm sure they do somehow.

We have black widows and brown recluses here also.  Be careful, I heard that black widows bite could also be harmful.

That's nice of you to be taking care of the plants and trees!

#932 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:25 AM

Thanks Tim.

Oh, I had never heard that myth about the Daddy Long Legs!

Tonight I watched Dateline about the biggest wildfire ever in California, 2003. Really alot of miracles how the people escaped...no extra fire fighters available to help and the high winds drove the fire like crazy. Burned 270,000 acres, killed 15 people. Started by a lost Hunter....

We have a wild fire today...often get them.

#933 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:59 AM

I hear about wildfires out west occasionally on the weather channel.  They mention the santa ana winds sometimes.  Do you experience them there in L.A.?

#934 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

Yes, we sometimes get the Santa Ana Winds...not too often though. They are a hot, dry wind blowing in from the desert.

Speaking of the desert...did you hear about the young couple lost recently in Joshua Tree National Park? They were never found... it's been about two weeks now. People should never go hiking in the desert in Summer! I'm sorry for them...they were only going for a day hike...never returned to their lodging at a home so the man reported them missing. Searchers looked but found only their car.

#935 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, I've heard of stories like that.  I believe before trips like that we should let others know where we're going and the exact trail\area we'll be on.

#936 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:20 AM

True, I recently read in Reader's Digest about an older couple lost in a desert park in TX. Again a day trip but the trail wasn't marked well and they got lost for about five to six days. The only way they survived was by sleeping in the day under a little shade and walking at night. No water except for one time they found a tiny, tiny spring which wasn't going to last.

The husband finally had to leave his wife and try to go for help. He made it and they rescued the wife just a few hours before she died. They are ok.

Reader's Digest often has stories like that and I enjoy them.

#937 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

The world needs more positive and uplifting stories.  I've thought in the past that we need a GNN, a Good News Nerwork!  :lol:

#938 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

yes, that's true. Sometimes our local news does good stories about people or animals. Also, when people have hospital bills, etc, the news will mention others may want to donate to help them.

Went to Chinatown last night with friends. By the time we got done eating the gift shops were closed but it was a quiet nice stroll... Chinese architecture and alot of bright, red, lit Chinese lanterns strung everywhere. Saw a couple wishing well ponds...our friend's young daughter wanted to see it all.

#939 TimM

TimM

Post Crazy Member

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

Sounds like it was a nice time, Deb!

#940 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:22 PM

Yes, it was nice. And since Mom is mainly homebound except for doctor visits, I am glad she could get out. She also enjoyed it alot. These friends are so nice...pick us up since Mom can't take the busses or walk very far like before. They usually treat us except I always treat them once a year around Christmas. On Thanksgiving the husband, Sam, brings us turkey dinners...for several years now! The turkey dinners were their daughter's idea. Very thoughtful people...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name