IPB Style© Fisana

Photo

What do you have planted in your garden?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#141 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Yes i think there are many culinary uses for both lavender and roses.  I visited a friend this weekend and they had just bought a white lavender bush, it smelt and looked absolutely beautiful.

#142 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

Never knew there was white lavender!

#143 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

I tried some violet mints recently (they were artificially flavored though I think) I didn't like them, way too flowery. So I still want to try culinary lavender someday and see how it compares to artificial flower flavors lol. I think I would use it in a homemade soda!

Edited by fionadrummond, 17 June 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#144 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

I believe the white lavender is also French lavender, i am planning to buy some soon. homemade lavender soda sounds cool

#145 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

I don't know if you have Avon in the UK? It's a mail order cosmetic company that people can also sell themselves, anyway they have this bubble bath called French Lilac, it is literally the best smelling body wash I ever smelled lol. I used to open the bottle of it just to smell it not even when I was planning on taking a bath lol.

Edited by fionadrummond, 22 June 2015 - 12:55 PM.

#146 lilacday

lilacday

Umm....

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

We do have Avon in the Uk ! is it originally a US company?

in our garden at the moment, the few tomato plants are doing well. Had some lettuce leaves come up from last year and planted some rocket, but only 2 or 3 came up....shame, love them in salad. Its been very hot here,  so watering every day is essential.

#147 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

I had to google it, but it was originally founded in the U.S. in New York City. I have three tomatoes now and one is rotting but the other two seem to be doing ok. One is getting ready to turn colors already. I also experimented with regrowing romaine lettuce but unfortunately left it out in the sun too long. However, it did grow a lot in only about a week or so. My mistake I think was not planting it in soil, I placed it in water to regrow.

#148 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Made me laugh about you opening the French Lilac bubble bath just to smell it!  I love those scents, too.

We are in a severe drought in California so watering is supposed to be reduced (voluntarily) for those with yards, etc.  I only have my potted plants on the patio so those don't take much water...when it gets really hot I need to water regularly though.

Some people here are putting in native, drought tolerant landscaping now.  One office bldg. had a lady put in a nice rock garden with cactus and succulents.  It was an older Asian lady who did the garden and she really did a good job....very unusual looking.

#149 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

I love cactus plants!

#150 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

I enjoy cactus, too, especially their blooms.  When we visited family in Phoenix, we went to the cactus garden a couple of times...really nice and big.  Also, some of the arboretums around L.A. have cactus sections.

#151 fionadrummond

fionadrummond

Gold Member

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Our Walgreens sometimes has mini cactus plants you can buy for under $5 I think. I believe I was going to buy one awhile ago but I discovered the "flowers" on the cactus were fake!

#152 OnHMS

OnHMS
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

Hi guys

I have wanted to join in for a while but due to technical issues have had to wait until now.  Deb suggested I share this idea in the gardening section, and I think it is valid.  If you can, google "Hills hoist".  Don't know if you have them but here in Australia they are our normal clothesline.  Well, sometimes you can get one someone is getting rid of.  I did this and got my husband and a friend to concrete it into the ground.  I then planted a climbing rose at the base of it.  It will eventually grow all over the frame and look lovely when it blooms.  Its roses are small, come out bright pink and fade to white over about 3-4 weeks.  Can't wait until it is covered with roses!

#153 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hi OnHMS, glad to see you here! Those climbing roses will be so beautiful. Do you have a small or large yard? Any other flowers or plants you have? Are you in a city or more rural area?

I was watching a home gardening TV show recently. They also made a trellis using some wire stretched onto a frame. You can make any pattern with the wire.

I need to fertilize my yellow hibiscus on the patio...with the chilly weather, I have been forgetting to do that. Once fertilized, it will produce alot of buds very quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name