IPB Style© Fisana

Photo

What do you have planted in your garden?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hey everyone! If you've planted a garden, what have you planted? :) We (me and my parents) planted a vegetable and fruit garden.
Here's what we have growing in it (from what I can remember, I may have to add more once I ask my mom what's all growing in it lol):
-Strawberries
-Grapes
-Squash
-Okra
-Tomatoes
-Tommy Toe Tomatoes
-Some kind of peppers I think. I'll have to ask to make sure.

We want to add some onions, but haven't found any yet. They did pretty good last year.

So far, we've only harvested two tommy toe tomatoes lol. The growing season got off to a rough start for us because we got a ton of rain in the following weeks after we planted them. We were starting to think they weren't going to make it, but they have so far. :)

On a somewhat related note, we also have an aloe vera plant growing, but it's not in the garden.

Last year we had some other things planted, but they took over the garden (watermelons and cucumbers) or went to waste. Our tomatoes last year went to waste. They all started to rotten (we only got a few from the plants we planted). I think they had some kind of disease, but I'm no expert. So far, they're not rotting this year. One or two may be trying, but not so at the moment. We've taken some precautions this year by adding some things to the soil and buying products that we can use. At last count, we have 74 tomatoes growing at the moment. :) Almost all the watermelons went to waste as well. Not sure what caused them to rotten either. I think we were are only to get one out that was edible. Not everything was bad last year though. Our squash, cucumbers and okra went crazy last year. We had to give a lot of it away because we had too much lol. We also got quite a few tommy toes and onions as well. For some odd reason, we had a plant growing last year that we didn't plant. We still have no idea what it was.

We're hoping the strawberries and grapes don't take over the garden, but we'll see. We can always move next year's garden (God willing) if we need to.

Needless to say, we're novices at gardening, but we're learning as we go along. :)

We also have a small flower garden that lines our house. I'm not sure what's all growing there. I think the only thing I know of are elephant ear plants....I'm not sure what the rest are.

#2 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hey everyone! If you've planted a garden, what have you planted? http://www.cpals.net..._DIR#/smile.gif We (me and my parents) planted a vegetable and fruit garden.
Here's what we have growing in it (from what I can remember, I may have to add more once I ask my mom what's all growing in it lol):
-Strawberries
-Grapes
-Squash
-Okra
-Tomatoes
-Tommy Toe Tomatoes
-Some kind of peppers I think. I'll have to ask to make sure.

We want to add some onions, but haven't found any yet. They did pretty good last year.

So far, we've only harvested two tommy toe tomatoes lol. The growing season got off to a rough start for us because we got a ton of rain in the following weeks after we planted them. We were starting to think they weren't going to make it, but they have so far. http://www.cpals.net..._DIR#/smile.gif

On a somewhat related note, we also have an aloe vera plant growing, but it's not in the garden.

Last year we had some other things planted, but they took over the garden (watermelons and cucumbers) or went to waste. Our tomatoes last year went to waste. They all started to rotten (we only got a few from the plants we planted). I think they had some kind of disease, but I'm no expert. So far, they're not rotting this year. One or two may be trying, but not so at the moment. We've taken some precautions this year by adding some things to the soil and buying products that we can use. At last count, we have 74 tomatoes growing at the moment. http://www.cpals.net..._DIR#/smile.gif Almost all the watermelons went to waste as well. Not sure what caused them to rotten either. I think we were are only to get one out that was edible. Not everything was bad last year though. Our squash, cucumbers and okra went crazy last year. We had to give a lot of it away because we had too much lol. We also got quite a few tommy toes and onions as well. For some odd reason, we had a plant growing last year that we didn't plant. We still have no idea what it was.

We're hoping the strawberries and grapes don't take over the garden, but we'll see. We can always move next year's garden (God willing) if we need to.

Needless to say, we're novices at gardening, but we're learning as we go along. http://www.cpals.net..._DIR#/smile.gif

We also have a small flower garden that lines our house. I'm not sure what's all growing there. I think the only thing I know of are elephant ear plants....I'm not sure what the rest are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds great, Tim. I'm in an apartment building so I just have some container plants on the patio (rose bush, Bouganvillea, Martha Washington Geranium, Hibiscus and Four O'Clocks). I just had two lovely, big roses (coral color) and everything else is blooming except the Hibiscus. I think it needs more fertilizer.

I also have plants in my apartment that have grown really, really tall. Started them from tiny pots I got at the supermarket, etc.

Does anyone know if I need to "dead head" the roses when they die for more blooms? I haven't had the time to cut the manager's roses back....his have already bloomed. It's funny, he doesn't do a thing to them and they even have some bugs and they bloom like crazy!! http://www.cpals.net...IR#/biggrin.gif

Tim, if you are looking for easy to grow flowers, try some Hollyhocks. They get quite tall and are very pretty.

#3 Guest_Pastor Roger_*

Guest_Pastor Roger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Even though I have a bit of a yard I'm not allowed to plant anything in it but grass. I do have an indoor garden though. I have some Mother-In-Law-Tongues that used to belong to my great grandmother and a couple of tropical trees. I also have some winter onions and some patio tomatoes.

There is a community garden nearby here that my grand daughter helped to plant along with the Girl Scout troops here. The only thing I know they are growing there are tomatoes and corn.

I will probably be getting a lot from my sisters garden as well and I'm sure that we will be buying from some of the local farmers we know. I will be having my freezers full and will probably get my daughter and grand daughter to help in doing some canning for us all.

#4 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Sounds great, Tim. I'm in an apartment building so I just have some container plants on the patio (rose bush, Bouganvillea, Martha Washington Geranium, Hibiscus and Four O'Clocks). I just had two lovely, big roses (coral color) and everything else is blooming except the Hibiscus. I think it needs more fertilizer.

I also have plants in my apartment that have grown really, really tall. Started them from tiny pots I got at the supermarket, etc.

Does anyone know if I need to "dead head" the roses when they die for more blooms? I haven't had the time to cut the manager's roses back....his have already bloomed. It's funny, he doesn't do a thing to them and they even have some bugs and they bloom like crazy!! :D

Tim, if you are looking for easy to grow flowers, try some Hollyhocks. They get quite tall and are very pretty.

Sounds good! We have some kind of rose bush (more like a tree lol) that attracts bumble bees. We had to put up a screen up on our front porch to keep the bees from getting in. Though, quite a few still manage to find their way in. I looked up Hollyhocks they do look like good flowers to grow! We have a couple different flowers that I have no idea what they are called. We planted some kind of lilies and we also planted some not too long ago that are long and thin. There's also a few fake flowers here and there. :lol:

Even though I have a bit of a yard I'm not allowed to plant anything in it but grass. I do have an indoor garden though. I have some Mother-In-Law-Tongues that used to belong to my great grandmother and a couple of tropical trees. I also have some winter onions and some patio tomatoes.

There is a community garden nearby here that my grand daughter helped to plant along with the Girl Scout troops here. The only thing I know they are growing there are tomatoes and corn.

I will probably be getting a lot from my sisters garden as well and I'm sure that we will be buying from some of the local farmers we know. I will be having my freezers full and will probably get my daughter and grand daughter to help in doing some canning for us all.

That's interesting! We haven't done any indoor gardening besides a few potted flowers. We, or atleast I, have no idea where to begin on indoor gardening.... I've looked into different types fruits and vegetables you can plant in the winter and have discovered a few that we might try. I don't think I've ever heard of a community garden....Who gets the harvest? I hope you have big enough freezers lol. We need a bigger one...we didn't have enough room for our harvest last year.
=============
Our garden is still looking good (thanks be to God)! We had a storm to blow some of our plants over, but we've stood them back up. :) I finally found out what kind of peppers that are planted and they're jalapeno peppers! Those also did pretty good last year...

#5 Guest_Pastor Roger_*

Guest_Pastor Roger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

The community garden is run primarily by a Girl Scout Troop that is headed by a person that works for the city housing authority. They give the harvest to the local housing community and the rest of it to local food pantries for distribution.

The hardest part of indoor gardening is finding an appropriate place for everything. We set a narrow table in front of our double bay window in the living room and a smaller one in front of a bed room window that gets lots of sun. The Mother-In-Law-Tongues and the tropical tree are both low maintenance type plants that take very little watering and yet are the best for removing contaminants from the air.

#6 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

We have some kind of rose bush (more like a tree lol) that attracts bumble bees. We had to put up a screen up on our front porch to keep the bees from getting in.

Tim, maybe you should build a little bee hive? You could have your own honey besides your veggies! :) The only bees that scare me are those gigantic ones....they are mainly black. They are much bigger than the Yellow Jackets we used to have in PA. When those things fly by, I go in. They don't come often at least....they seem to like the Yellow Bottlebrush tree by the front steps.

#7 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

The community garden is run primarily by a Girl Scout Troop that is headed by a person that works for the city housing authority. They give the harvest to the local housing community and the rest of it to local food pantries for distribution.

The hardest part of indoor gardening is finding an appropriate place for everything. We set a narrow table in front of our double bay window in the living room and a smaller one in front of a bed room window that gets lots of sun. The Mother-In-Law-Tongues and the tropical tree are both low maintenance type plants that take very little watering and yet are the best for removing contaminants from the air.

Oh, okay! Gotcha! That's very nice of them!

Humm, not sure if we can do a good indoor garden...I don't know if we have the appropriate place for everything. We kind of do some indoor gardening......We have a few plants that we take outside during the day time and bring them in at night and in the cold months. Though, I may have to look into the Mother-In-Law-Tongues and tropical trees since they're low maintenance!

Tim, maybe you should build a little bee hive? You could have your own honey besides your veggies! :) The only bees that scare me are those gigantic ones....they are mainly black. They are much bigger than the Yellow Jackets we used to have in PA. When those things fly by, I go in. They don't come often at least....they seem to like the Yellow Bottlebrush tree by the front steps.

Not so sure about the beehive lol! My mom is very allergic to bees and I've never been stung by one so I'm not sure if I'm allergic or not. Though, it would be nice to have a beehive that we could get honey from!...Maybe we should find one of those spacesuit looking things that beehive removers wear. :lol:

Back when I lived in northeast Arkansas, we had to call a beehive remover. We had a HUGE beehive on one of our trees at the end of our house.
=====
Our garden is still doing good. I think I may have miscounted the tomatoes...I did count 74 one day, but today I only counted 70...humm. Our squash is growing good and our jalapeno peppers plants are starting to produce! We also finally have some strawberries growing, but they're not ready to harvest just yet.

Edited by TimAM, 17 June 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#8 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

Oh, okay! Gotcha! That's very nice of them!

Humm, not sure if we can do a good indoor garden...I don't know if we have the appropriate place for everything. We kind of do some indoor gardening......We have a few plants that we take outside during the day time and bring them in at night and in the cold months. Though, I may have to look into the Mother-In-Law-Tongues and tropical trees since they're low maintenance!

Not so sure about the beehive lol! My mom is very allergic to bees and I've never been stung by one so I'm not sure if I'm allergic or not. Though, it would be nice to have a beehive that we could get honey from!...Maybe we should find one of those spacesuit looking things that beehive removers wear. :lol:

Back when I lived in northeast Arkansas, we had to call a beehive remover. We had a HUGE beehive on one of our trees at the end of our house.
=====
Our garden is still doing good. I think I may have miscounted the tomatoes...I did count 74 one day, but today I only counted 70...humm. Our squash is growing good and our jalapeno peppers plants are starting to produce! We also finally have some strawberries growing, but they're not ready to harvest just yet.

Wow, sure wish you could send me some tomatoes!! :D They are usually $2.99 a pound here! On sale I got 2 for $1.50 a pound last week.

#9 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

Well, I didn't get the green thumb from my Mom. I plant some things each year but mostly for appearance and also for fun- my grandson loves the plants that he can pick and taste. I do not do so well with growing things though and I don't really enjoy the outside work. I have one small flower garden, one garden with a mixture of tomatoes, herbs and flowers and in other areas, flowers.
I think I'm gone too much in the early part of the summer for a garden to do well as I visit family every June.
Oh and my husband loves to cut or mow things down. >_< So I don't plant much.

This year I planted 2 cherry tomatoes because my grandkids love them. I planted a Stevia plant, 2 lavendar bushes, a new rose bush and several kinds of flowers. I already had chives, dill, lemon balm, meadow sage, Brown eyed Susans, daisies, live forever, several rose bushes, columbine, hostas -well, lots of different flowers.

I haven't had a chance to see what survived my being away. I know one lavendar bush at least died. I had 2 of those for 2 or 3 years and then this year they didn't come back up. Don't know what happened.

I did pick one cherry tomato today.

Deb, a friend whose husband grows lots of roses told me that you need to cut off the dead rose blooms, cutting down below a leaf stem with 5 leaves on it. I try to do that, though right now my bushes are full of dead flowers from my being gone. So much to catch up on!

I hope most things will come back and survive.

#10 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

Deb, a friend whose husband grows lots of roses told me that you need to cut off the dead rose blooms, cutting down below a leaf stem with 5 leaves on it. I try to do that, though right now my bushes are full of dead flowers from my being gone. So much to catch up on!

Thanks GrandmaDee. I'll have to do that later on. I always thought it was best to dead head them but just got too busy lately.

#11 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

Wow, sure wish you could send me some tomatoes!! :D They are usually $2.99 a pound here! On sale I got 2 for $1.50 a pound last week.

:o That is expensive! I think we pay something like $1.20 a pound here, though I'd have to check on that to make sure. Are the prices high over there for all food or does it vary? Some things we pay for are expensive, yet a lot of it is cheap but it varies from store to store. You have a Save-A-Lot store anywhere around your location? They seem to be cheaper than other stores.

Well, I didn't get the green thumb from my Mom. I plant some things each year but mostly for appearance and also for fun- my grandson loves the plants that he can pick and taste. I do not do so well with growing things though and I don't really enjoy the outside work. I have one small flower garden, one garden with a mixture of tomatoes, herbs and flowers and in other areas, flowers.
I think I'm gone too much in the early part of the summer for a garden to do well as I visit family every June.
Oh and my husband loves to cut or mow things down. >_< So I don't plant much.

This year I planted 2 cherry tomatoes because my grandkids love them. I planted a Stevia plant, 2 lavendar bushes, a new rose bush and several kinds of flowers. I already had chives, dill, lemon balm, meadow sage, Brown eyed Susans, daisies, live forever, several rose bushes, columbine, hostas -well, lots of different flowers.

I haven't had a chance to see what survived my being away. I know one lavendar bush at least died. I had 2 of those for 2 or 3 years and then this year they didn't come back up. Don't know what happened.

I did pick one cherry tomato today.

I hope most things will come back and survive.

Wow, you have a lot of flowers growing! Which are your favorites?
====
Not much new on our garden. We had a few tommy-toe tomatoes that we had to pick off and we also picked off one strawberry and one squash! :D It's getting there...everything is growing and producing finally after a rough start. The grape bush isn't producing yet. The okera isn't producing just yet either, but I think it will as the plants are growing at a good pace.

#12 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

I'm not sure I could choose a favorite flower. Daisies and Brown Eyed Susans remind me of my youth, also Lilies of the Valley, which is why I have them. I had daisies for my flowers in my wedding.
I love roses and am trying to plant some every year. I currently have 2 rose bushes (red)in front of the house that were here when we moved in and only bloom in the spring. Two miniature rose bushes (white) in the small garden in front. One climbing rose (red) by the back porch wall and just added one more (fragrant red) this year to the yellow one that I planted several years ago.

I have Irises, daffodils, crocus, hyacinths, Columbine, Forsynthia and tulips which bloom in the spring. I always plant orange cosmas, and this year added a few mums, sunflowers impatients and marigolds. I planted some seeds which I don't think came up so will see if I decide to add more flowers.

I do better with flowers than with vegetables. There was a garden plot here when we moved here and the first year I had a pretty good garden but afterwards it didn't do so well. I think my neglect of it in early summer while I was gone did it in. So we finally just gave up on it.

My Mom has always had a garden. Since she is having trouble getting up and down now and with balance, two of my sisters and I paid a man to make her some garden boxes which he designed himself for her. He goes to her church and only charged for materials - his choice -so we were able to do 2 this year. They are so nice. I'd love to have one or two myself. They are 2 ft. by 8 ft. and have a divider in the middle. They slant inward from the top so she could actually put a chair next to them to work in them if she wanted. They look nice too. She loves them. We told her we may try to do one or two more next year. We did it for Mother's Day and her birthday as it was quite expensive.

We had so many things here when we first moved in but some are gone now. There were grapes but after a few years we got rid of them because I couldn't use enough of them and couldn't give them away. There were 2 apple trees.. one blew over in a bad storm and we still have one but we don't get it sprayed so the apples are quite full of worms. There was a cherry tree which I used but as I said before my husband likes to cut things down so one day it was gone and a play fort is in it's place. There was a peach tree but same as the apples it was good one year and then very wormy. Husband cut that down when he put on a new room. We still have a pear tree and use some of the pears but not nearly all and again can't seem to give them away. We have a plum tree but it rarely has any plums. Had gooseberries and blackberries which I used but again... when I was gone they disappeared. That crummy chain saw..... :ermm:

#13 Guest_Pastor Roger_*

Guest_Pastor Roger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

If anyone has extra food that they can't use or get put up then try contacting all the local food pantries and churches to see if they will take it off your hands. Some of the local farmers were dumping a lot of theirs in a gully on their farms. I found which ones were doing it and set them up with different area food pantries and churches. A lot of people get fed that way that wouldn't get that kind of food otherwise.

#14 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

That was smart to get the farmers and the pantries/churches together, Pastor Roger.

Tim, I think our prices are higher here. We just get used to them, I guess. We don't have that market you mentioned but we have Food for Less which is alot cheaper on produce. But it's much further from me, so I just go to Ralphs.

#15 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'm not sure I could choose a favorite flower. Daisies and Brown Eyed Susans remind me of my youth, also Lilies of the Valley, which is why I have them. I had daisies for my flowers in my wedding.
I love roses and am trying to plant some every year. I currently have 2 rose bushes (red)in front of the house that were here when we moved in and only bloom in the spring. Two miniature rose bushes (white) in the small garden in front. One climbing rose (red) by the back porch wall and just added one more (fragrant red) this year to the yellow one that I planted several years ago.

I have Irises, daffodils, crocus, hyacinths, Columbine, Forsynthia and tulips which bloom in the spring. I always plant orange cosmas, and this year added a few mums, sunflowers impatients and marigolds. I planted some seeds which I don't think came up so will see if I decide to add more flowers.

I do better with flowers than with vegetables. There was a garden plot here when we moved here and the first year I had a pretty good garden but afterwards it didn't do so well. I think my neglect of it in early summer while I was gone did it in. So we finally just gave up on it.

My Mom has always had a garden. Since she is having trouble getting up and down now and with balance, two of my sisters and I paid a man to make her some garden boxes which he designed himself for her. He goes to her church and only charged for materials - his choice -so we were able to do 2 this year. They are so nice. I'd love to have one or two myself. They are 2 ft. by 8 ft. and have a divider in the middle. They slant inward from the top so she could actually put a chair next to them to work in them if she wanted. They look nice too. She loves them. We told her we may try to do one or two more next year. We did it for Mother's Day and her birthday as it was quite expensive.

We had so many things here when we first moved in but some are gone now. There were grapes but after a few years we got rid of them because I couldn't use enough of them and couldn't give them away. There were 2 apple trees.. one blew over in a bad storm and we still have one but we don't get it sprayed so the apples are quite full of worms. There was a cherry tree which I used but as I said before my husband likes to cut things down so one day it was gone and a play fort is in it's place. There was a peach tree but same as the apples it was good one year and then very wormy. Husband cut that down when he put on a new room. We still have a pear tree and use some of the pears but not nearly all and again can't seem to give them away. We have a plum tree but it rarely has any plums. Had gooseberries and blackberries which I used but again... when I was gone they disappeared. That crummy chain saw..... :ermm:

lol, might want to hide that chainsaw. ;) Gardens are pretty hard to take care of. We have to water ours everyday and that's not to mention all the work we put into it. We had to put up a chickenwire fence to keep animals out, had to till the ground up, plant the plants and we had to mix in a few things that are good for the garden like lime. We have to work on it every so often to keep the grass out. So yeah, ours atleast is hard to take care of, but it produces quite well.

If anyone has extra food that they can't use or get put up then try contacting all the local food pantries and churches to see if they will take it off your hands. Some of the local farmers were dumping a lot of theirs in a gully on their farms. I found which ones were doing it and set them up with different area food pantries and churches. A lot of people get fed that way that wouldn't get that kind of food otherwise.

I'll definitely keep that in mind!

That was smart to get the farmers and the pantries/churches together, Pastor Roger.

Tim, I think our prices are higher here. We just get used to them, I guess. We don't have that market you mentioned but we have Food for Less which is alot cheaper on produce. But it's much further from me, so I just go to Ralphs.

Good to hear you can find things cheaper!

#16 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:14 AM

Our tomatoes finally started to turn ripe. We harvested a few along with some squash, jalapeno peppers, and tommy-toe tomatoes. Some of the okera is about ready for harvesting as well. Our strawberry plant isn't doing too great. I dug out some dirt from around it as I was thinking we may have planted it down too far into the ground. It's been producing a few strawberries, but they've been going to waste. I think we got two out of it that was okay. Our grape plant hasn't produced anything yet. I think it may take a while for it to produce.

#17 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Our tomatoes finally started to turn ripe. We harvested a few along with some squash, jalapeno peppers, and tommy-toe tomatoes. Some of the okera is about ready for harvesting as well. Our strawberry plant isn't doing too great. I dug out some dirt from around it as I was thinking we may have planted it down too far into the ground. It's been producing a few strawberries, but they've been going to waste. I think we got two out of it that was okay. Our grape plant hasn't produced anything yet. I think it may take a while for it to produce.

Oh for some fresh veggies from Tim's garden! :D I went out and bought a cobb salad today at a little place nearby. Once your grapes get going, they should be delicious.

When my mom was a child, they had grape vines (purple) all over their front porch.

#18 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

I think my grandson, David age 5, got the green thumb. I bought him a cherry tomato plant the same time that I bought my 2. He and his Dad planted his and Laurie said he has been watering it. His plant is beautiful, full, green and lots of tomatoes, some ripening and some not yet. My two are tall and scrawny. They do have tomatoes on them and are ripening a few at a time but his looks so much prettier. Thinking if he's still interested I may get him more plants next year.

I finally got the front flower patch weeded and deadheaded the dead flowers. Now need to do that back. Just haven't had time.

#19 Guest_Pastor Roger_*

Guest_Pastor Roger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

My most mature tomato plant is now just getting some tomatoes to form. The biggest one on it is not quite the size of a quarter. At full maturity this type is supposed to be about the size of a hard ball.

My winter onions that I planted last Oct have matured enough to have some bulbs forming on the top tubers.

#20 TimAM

TimAM
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

We have quite a few small to medium size tomatoes, but we do have a few big ones though. I've been wondering why some of the tomatoes just stopped growing and all of a sudden went ripe while being so small. Our squash isn't doing that great this year. Everything was doing okay and then all of a sudden they just quit producing and some of the squash started to go to waste. A few are still growing, but the squash aren't nearly as big as the ones we had last year. I think it may that this year we bought crooked squash. My mom thinks that a deer may have got into the garden, but I have my doubts as I think it may have ate quite a few things if it had. We may have to buy some pest control products as there were a bunch of white bugs all cluttered together on one of the squash plants. Everything else seems to be doing pretty well. Our okra and jalapeno peppers are doing wonderful at the moment and so is our tomato plants with the exception that some of them don't want to get very big. Strawberries still aren't doing all that good though they have a few growing on them. Grape plant just keeps getting bigger and bigger. It makes me wonder just how big it'll get. We also have a plant growing, but the thing is we don't know what kind of plant it is. It grew last year even though we didn't plant it and we have another one growing this year. It produces like green vegetables or fruits on them...but we can't figure out what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name