Helping Others, the Lord will work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Recently I was on the bus near the front. Across from me was a Muslim woman with 3 very young children. After awhile the woman asked the bus driver about a particular street. Well, that street was way in the other direction. When the bus driver was rather slow in trying to answer her, I started to tell her the street was in the other direction. Also, asked what intersection she needed....as she then started to mention another street that was extremely long and ran many blocks South of our route.

Three other people (two men and one woman) also joined in the conversation to try to help this Muslim lady get to her destination. The younger man also pointed out the very bus stop she should wait at, and told her the number of the bus she needed.

Most Muslims are very quiet and don't talk to others. But as this lady went down the bus steps with her 3 young children, she thanked us over and over again for helping her. I like to think that the Lord will use this event in that lady's life, or maybe her children's lives.

#2 Wordtothewise

Wordtothewise

Silver Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

I hope and pray that too. I do not think there are coincidences in our lives. God allows things to happen so that we can meet people we would not otherwise meet and also so that we can pray for them. It would be wonderful to think that this small incident could change many lives - for all things are possible with God!

#3 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have a cat), sightseeing, old architecture. Interested in missions.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

I hope and pray that too. I do not think there are coincidences in our lives. God allows things to happen so that we can meet people we would not otherwise meet and also so that we can pray for them. It would be wonderful to think that this small incident could change many lives - for all things are possible with God!

So true, amen!!

#4 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

On this topic:

Written by Barbara Smith
This article is courtesy of HomeLife.

Five years ago, our dear friend and neighbor, Mike, died suddenly of a heart attack, leaving behind a beautiful wife and three precious teenagers. It’s been a long, hard journey for this heartbroken family. But Paul and I have wrapped them in the warmth of our home many times, providing love, fellowship, and a place to revisit cherished memories and renew their weary souls. Our younger granddaughters participated in a fundraiser for the American Heart Association to honor Mike’s life. It was a sweet reminder for his family that Mike’s legacy and life are not forgotten.

Jesus Calling

Paul and I also traveled a difficult path last year when our Sunday school teacher battled a rare form of cancer. We’ll never forget sitting with Duray Miller and his wife, Carey, during chemotherapy, taking them meals, praying with them, and then crying with Carey as she said goodbye for now to the love of her life.

But our ministry didn’t end there. Our Sunday school class continues to pray for Carey, encouraging her with notes and sending flowers on their wedding anniversary, reminding her of Duray’s love, ours, and, more importantly, God’s.

Ministering to the needs of others is an ongoing mission for our family. One of my favorite devotional books, Jesus Calling by Sara Young, lays the groundwork for our lives: “Learn to listen to Me while you are listening to others. As they open their souls to you, you are on holy ground ... When you are listening and speaking, you are empowered by the Spirit. My streams of living water flow through you to other people. Be a channel of My love, joy, and peace by listening to Me as you listen to others.”

Barbara Smith is the author of Food That Says Welcome. She and her husband, Paul, love to open their home to family, friends, and especially young single adults. Barbara believes that their mission in life is to be available to anyone who needs them.

#5 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

I ran across this topic again and thought it is well worth bumping up.

Show a little kindness to others. We will all go through difficult situations at various times of our lives...it will be a healing balm if others reach out to us in Christian love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name