IPB Style© Fisana

Ladies Fellowship ideas

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

I am part of a group on our church who have started a new ministry. We are hostessing a ladies fellowship each month.
We have this year all outlined and I will share the things we do with you. But I'd like also to hear some things that your church has done. Next year, God willing, we will be looking for new ideas.
We started as about 6 ladies, then blossomed to where I don't know how many are signed up to help with the work of this ministry.
Pam prayed and then asked different ones to be the coordinator in different areas: theme/decoration, food, cleanup, child care, promotion and program director.
Then others signed up to help in each area. I am in charge of theme/decoration and at this point I have 5 women willing to help me.
We chose the name Thursdays Matter partly because our fellowships will be on Thursday nights.

And so we began with this month, praying that the ladies would come.

Last Sunday we handed out Smarties with a saying on them, 'Be a Smartie, Come to Thursdays Matter on Jan.24th 6:30 to 8:30'.
A list of these candy related sayings can be found on creativeladiesministry.com.

Then on Thursday... we met at 3 to decorate. One other lady and I ended up just staying until time for the dinner.

We had a Mexican theme night. Tables had red or yellow tablecloths. In the center of each was a mulitcolored placemat that one lady had that came from Guatamala and on it a clear bud vase with a few yellow flowers. On each end of the table were baskets lined with red and yellow tissue paper which held tortilla chips and little bowls of salsa.

Ladies brought in various things they had that were Mexican so one table where a display was set up was draped with a Mexican throw, the podium was draped with a table runner. We had several sombreros so we put them in various places.

One lady bought a pinata and though it was empty it hung from one of the light fixtures, purchased cut outs hung for other light fixures. (We plan to use the pinata at another meeting when we bring the kids in to join us.)

Even the food tables were decorated. We had a pitch in -soup and salad.

Also each month we are honoring birthdays so we had a cake made by one of the ladies and gave out a little bouquet made of 3 lollypops with a shooting star coming out of the middle tied with pretty ribbon which says Happy Birthday . One of the ladies made these. They are really cute.

We played a game where each table had a carry on bag and had to try to identify the items inside without looking inside.

This month we had a speaker. One of our college age girls goes to Guatamala every year to help at an orphanage there. She spoke about the orphanage and answered questions. The need for clothing to take along with them was presented with a list of needed items.

The children were kept occupied in the children's wing by two of our teen girls. They had a Bible story and activities to do as well as a snack. We paid these girls by having the ladies give an offering which we put in one of the sombreros. That way the young Mom's do not bear all the cost which might make it a big burden for them. My grandkids were the only ones there this month and they had so much fun they didn't want to leave and the next day David was asking when the next one would be.

It all went well and clean up was a breeze with everyone helping.

We plan to put some of the pictures on our church website and also to make a poster board of pictures to post in the fellowship hall. Each month we will do this and then make a scrapbook of the pictures.

We probably had at least 25 at this fellowship. We hope to grow each month.

Next month we are having a pajama party. I'll let you know how it goes.

#2 twosday

twosday

Always Hopeful

• Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Jigsaw Puzzles, Gardening, Camping,

Anything Thomas Kinkade:)

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

That sounds like good ideas GrandmaDee & a fun/good way to get together as groups for fellowship! I like the name you have chosen, wish I lived close, I would come!!

We had done that, but not at the church. We would go to a different ladies house once a month for bible study on Fridays & there would be snacks. It was fun, & great to get together for studies, but got to be hard for some of the ladies. There is a couple ladies that live in Milwaukee & come here on Wed. & Sundays for studies & services.

I like the fellowship with other church members, but would also like to have studies with friends & family & get together at least once a week for that. Missy & I used to have studies here at my house & we also liked to play Bible Trivia & that was fun!

I am working on hubby to get some of his/ & our friends to start some studies here at the house. We get alot of visitors/friends/ family & neighbors that stop by, what better way to get us all together & study!

#3 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

Having friends over for fellowship and study would be fun.

We tried doing the fellowships last year but a different lady was to be in charge each time and it wasn't at the church. It didn't work as most ladies didn't want to plan it or have it at their home and the times they went out to eat, it was too expensive for some ladies. We plan one month to eat out but most months the only cost will be a donation for child care if they are willing and whatever they bring for the pitch in. With so many of us working on it, we can do a real good job with not too much work for anyone and hopefully not too much expense. We hope that eventually we can get some budget from the church for this.
With the treasurer's wife and the pastor's wife on our committee we have high hopes. ;)

It isn't going to be a Bible study. Though we have opened up our Thursday book study (we'll meet the other 3 Thursdays) up to anyone and have 3 more signed up to come. We will mostly be doing fun stuff or projects. One month we are going to try to identify old pictures that are in the church library and get them in a scrapbook. One month we are making VBS decorations and in Aug. we plan to have Christmas in Aug. and fill Samaritan's Purse shoeboxes. One month we plan a mini retreat with 2 speakers.

We plan to open it up to anyone who wants to come so if you lived close, Twosday, you'd sure be welcome.

A friend and I had a Bible study together last year. It was good. We took turns hostessing at our homes and also went for a walk most times to get in some exercise. We met once a week. It was fun but she is a hair stylist and busy young mom and we haven't been able to do it this year.

#4 Debp

Debp

Furry & Feathered Friend Lover

• Moderators
  • 16,467 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have 2 cats), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Sounds great, GrandmaDee....especially the Mexican theme. One time our luncheon had an antique appraiser come....every one could bring one or two "antiques" and have it appraised. It was very interesting.

The ladies luncheon is for several months out of the year but it is held around noon....so mainly is limited to the older ladies (and some men). (Of course, right now our church has just the older folks except for a smattering of younger ones.) They decorate the tables nicely and a good dinner is served (a member is a caterer). One of the pastors also gives a good devotional and there is also a "guest speaker" or activity.

Every couple of months for several months out of the year, there is also a "regular" church luncheon after the worship service. It's a good sandwich, homemade soup, chips, fancy dessert and beverage and time of fellowship....just went up to $6 each this year (used to be $5)....pretty good price for L.A. where desserts can sometimes cost $4 alone.

#5 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

There are pictures of our January fellowship on our church website. I'm not in any of them but my daughter is.

http://parksidebaptist.com/

#6 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 16,467 posts
  • Interests:Nature, animals (have 2 cats), gardens, walking, sightseeing, architecture.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

There are pictures of our January fellowship on our church website. I'm not in any of them but my daughter is.

http://parksidebaptist.com/

Looks like a nice group. Too bad you weren't on one of the photos.

#7 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

I was too busy doing stuff to sit still much... and holding my baby grandson.

#8 twosday

twosday

Always Hopeful

• Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Jigsaw Puzzles, Gardening, Camping,

Anything Thomas Kinkade:)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

I got to see some of the site, but no pictures. It was taking forever to load.
It's probably my web tv.

When I am finished working I am going to Wed. morning bible study at church again & Wed. evenings with my mother in law. It will be nice not working at night! She also has a ladies study at her house on Thursdays.

#9 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

Our second fellowship was tonight. I'm almost afraid to see the pictures. :blush: I'm sure they will be hilarious.

On Sunday after church we handed each lady a Snickers bar with the time and date of the fellowship on it and "don't miss out on all the snickering". A pajama party which was our theme this month promised to result in many laughs.

Many of the ladies came in pj's or changed after they got to church. Some who didn't want to wear pjs just wore a robe over their clothes and slippers or wore comfortable clothes. One older lady arrived in pjs, slippers, and with her hair in curlers. (w00t)

Some brought sleeping bags, pillows or stuffed toys.

We used quilts covered with clear plastic for tableclothes and arranged the tables in a U shape. In the middle of the tables we had two teddy bears, back to back. And on each table we had 4 small popcorn buckets filled with popcorn.

In different areas of the room we had a table with a puzzle, one with games, one with a record player and records (which we played part of the time), and a DVD player with a black and white Shirley Temple playing with no sound. As you came in the doors you passed by - or over- a twister game laid out and ready to play. And teddy bears in different areas.

At the opening of the table U we had a living room type chair, small table with a lamp and books on it and Pam sat there to give the devotion.

In the middle of the U we had two sleeping bags opened with open magazines, a teddy bear and a game opened as if someone had been playing it.

Since we don't have this budgeted yet, all of our fellowships this year will be pitch-ins. This time we had sandwiches, fruit, nuts, veggies, snacks and sweets. One lady ordered pizza to be delivered just as we were starting.

Entertainment was a game where everyone took M&M's out of a bowl, not knowing what they were going to be used for. Then each color represented an area of life, such as friends, family, church, school or yourself. Pam told you which color you were to use and you had to give one fact about that area of your life for each M&M that you had of that color. She chose purple for me but I didn't have any so then she chose pink. I had 2 so I gave 2 facts about my family.

After we ate and after the devotion the ladies could watch a hula hoop demonstration and try out the hula hoops. Two ladies in our church make and sell weighted hula hoops for exercise. It was quite funny to see the many ladies trying out the hula hoops - and I was surprised at how many did try it.

At the same time another lady who sells Mary Kay took groups of ladies and helped them do Satin Hands on their hands. This made our hands feel so smooth and nice.

We had a door prize this month. One lady won a large basket filled with things for a "movie night", one free movie rental, pop, and snacks.

At the end we did a promotion for next month's fellowship which is Memories. We will have a lady who does scrapbooking there to help us to scrapbook some pictures we found which are our church's history.
Shannon made a video with some help and did a "chin". They decorated her chin to resemble a lady and she was Barbara Striesand and told about our next fellowship and then sang "Memories". Then she handed out invitations she had made which told the date, time and theme and were made to look like a small scrapbook page. Each invitation was different and had a magnet on it so it could be hung on the fridge to remember.

We had 29 last month and this month a few were out of town but we had several new ladies and some visitors who do not attend our church (which is our goal as well as getting to know each other and draw near to God) and anyway we had 29 again tonight.

Plus 4 teens to watch the kids and 5 kids.

Another success and so much fun.

#10 Debp

Debp

• Moderators
  • 16,467 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

Wow, you all are keeping it interesting. I'm not the PJs in public type....would have just worn comfy clothes. :)

What about doing a night where everyone needs to dress like someone from another country or culture?

#11 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

That might be an idea for another year. We have the whole year planned for this year.

The only problem might be cost for some of the ladies.

#12 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:18 AM

March's fellowship focused on Memories.

Decorations were of an old time picnic. In the decorations we didn't use any paper, styrofoam, plastic as that would not have been available then.

We had red/white checked tablecloths with a pint canning jar of fresh flowers in the middle of each table.
In other areas we had picnic baskets. One was on the floor with a checked tablecloth set for a meal, baseball glove and mit and some flowers just lying on the tablecloth. The other was on a table with dishes in and out of the basket, a quart jar of roses and some old framed black and white photos.

We had a speaker who talked to us about scrapbooking because for our project that night we worked on making scrapbook pages with some old pictures that we had found in the church library.

We had 2 door prizes because we couldn't decide. One was a basket of picnic supplies and the other was a gift bag of scrapbooking supplies.

#13 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

For April we decided to use focus on VBS and helping to make decorations for that week which is in July. Our church goes all out with hand made decorations and a few of our ladies end up spend much time working on these decorations so we decided it was a good idea to help them.

Since VBS will be Outrigger Island this year with a tropical theme, we decided to do a luau.

We decorated with yellow tablecloths, with a bowl of tiny fish and some sea shells in the center of each table. Napkins had flip flops on them and were rolled up and secured with a hair clip that I made using metal hair clips and silk flowers. These were standing up at each place. Many of the ladies removed the hair clip and put it in their hair.

Some wore leis.

We decorated the food tables with yellow tablecloth and grass skirts around the edges.

Most of our decorations were borrowed so this one had little expense for us.

The door prize was a basket of fruit and two small plates.

Our projects, directed by the two who are in charge of decorations for VBS, were making large tissue paper flowers, cutting out leaves that will be used to make 3-D palm trees and painting surf boards. We got so much done and it will be such a help to the VBS team. The surf boards were especially fun as many of our ladies showed their creativity.

Pictures will soon be on our church web site at http://parksidebaptist.com/

#14 Guest_ReinaRoelle_*

Guest_ReinaRoelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Those are cool ideas!! When I was going to lunch w/ the pastor's wife & 2 other ladies, she mentioned 'bout helping out some people. i.e. a new mom who needs to go to the store & we take care of her kid. Or dishes washed, laundry, etc. What was really cool was that was one of MY 'ministries' God had instilled on my heart. So we were on the same wavelength. I want to expand ours further tho. Ours isn't gonna be entertainment, tho I do like your Smartie & Snickers lines, those are just Awesome!! More of helping each other out. I had read in one of my many mags a story 'bout helping others.
2 of the links are:
www.lotsahelpinghands.com/home/
www.helping-angels.org

We won't do the message board on the first one, but it gave me some good ideas. To do check ins w/ an elderly lady. Maybe drive somebody to a doc's appt, help somebody paint a room, etc. To get to know each other, help each other, & have Jesus be our focal point.
Love,
Reina

#15 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

We are doing a mix of ministry things and just plain fun with a spritual slant. Our intent is to get the women to know each other better and to hopefully attract other women to join us and if possible to influence other women to Christ so doing a balance is best for our purpose. We have had a few visitors who do not come to our church, which is one thing we had hoped for.

Our VBS is so well done, not bragging but so much work goes into it, that we always have lots of kids who do not go to our church. Some come from other churches but a lot come from homes where the family doesn't go to church. We have kids accept Christ every year. So anything we do towards VBS is ministry.

Next month we are doing a tea which is more for fellowship, spiritual growth and fun. We will have a speaker.

One month we are going to do Samaritan's Purse boxes to get a head start on when they are due since they come right at Christmas time when everyone is busy with so many things. We hope to get more of them done this way.

#16 Guest_ReinaRoelle_*

Guest_ReinaRoelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

Here's a question- How do you get this sort of thing started? Who's idea was it? Do you have a big church? Ours is 'bout 60 ish members. Small in a way.
It's not bragging when it's the truth! Bragging is when you put yourself on a pedestal & demean others. You are merely happy w/ the success & you KNOW God is first & foremost.
Love,
Reina

#17 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Our church runs around 150 or so. Big... depends on who you are comparing us to I guess.

The way it started was through our book study group. That in itself has a story. We began as a diet group with a dietician who goes to our church leading us. She had used the diabetic diet and exercise and lost a lot of weight so when others asked her to help them, they decided to form a group. We met in the church but it was not really a church function.

After several months we decided to do a book study on a book that focused on the Bible and God's will for us. We added several members but soon were back to just the 5 or 6 basic members.

Then when we finished that book, many had gone back to old ways of eating and didn't want the diet ideas anymore, plus Judy felt it wasn't working, except for me and one other.

So we decided to read a Bible based book together. During one of those meetings Pam said she wanted to start a fellowship for the ladies. Several in the church had been saying they wanted something like that for those who work and can't come to the meeting during the day. She asked who wanted to plan a meeting.

Silence!!!

I said, 'why don't we do it together?" And our group was formed. I was put in charge of decorations/themes because I came up with lots if ideas. Another lady was put in charge of food because she is talented in that area. Pam took program committee. And then she prayed about it and asked 3 other ladies, one to be in charge of clean-up, one child care, and one promotion. Each one said yes and they are each in an area that is a strength for them.

A few other members of our study group chose which committee they wanted to be part of.

We met one night. I had gotten ideas for theme and decorations from the internet. We talked about what we wanted to do and made a calendar of what we would do each month for the year. We planned the theme for each month and roughly ideas for decorations.

The coordinators meet at least every other month to plan. I meet with my deocoration committee as often as we can work it out and otherwise do a lot of back and forth on the internet. We work so well together that it has been easy.

At our first fellowship we put out sign up sheets for any others who wanted to be part of the planning but except for one lady, our groups have stayed pretty much the same.

We do not have a budget though we hope to next year.. to be put in the budget.. so we are paying for everything ourselves. We are keeping track of what we spend so that next year we will know how much we need if we can get in the budget. Meanwhile we are decorating as well as we can with mostly borrowed things.

We try to make each month as special as we can. Kinda want that WOW factor and also to keep it different each month so that the excitement remains or builds.

I can post the list of what we plan for the year if you'd like or you can look at the website www.creativeladiesministry.com.

We do the planning with just 6 women and then I have 3 that help me with decorations. For a smaller church you could probably combine some of the areas and have less ladies. We do not take over each other's areas but we do discuss everything and work together so everything flows smoothly.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. I may be able to answer or not. :-"

#18 Guest_ReinaRoelle_*

Guest_ReinaRoelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

The site looks good! I'm hoping to get something going w/ my church. We don't have all that much. There is Family Night, biweekly Wed's. & they have Women's bible study at 9am on Thursdays. WAYYY too early for me. I'm up but not functioning that early!
We also have bazaars/ fairs but those aren't for fellowshipping.
We have an annual garage sale Mem'l weekend. Members donate what they can & what doesn't get sold is donated to a Christian Goodwill-type that supports our county. If you need extra money (all churches do), you could try a garage sale w/ donations.
Love,
Reina

#19 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Our pastor doesn't believe in churches doing fund raisers. Just his opinoin and not that of others in the church but we respect what he believes.

He says he believes it says to the world that God can't take care of us.

Not going to have a discussion on this because I don't really agree with him and can't respond as he would. But he is such a good pastor and we love and respect him so much that this isn't an issue for us.

Just answering why we do not do this for our fellowships.

We do take an offering each week to pay the child care workers.

Next year when they do the budget, considering how well this is going, and that we have that pastor's wife and treasurer's wife on our coordinators committee :-" , I expect we will be written into the budget and given an amount to spend. ;)

We also have a women's Bible study at 9 on Wed. mornings. I do not go to that one but to our Thurs. evening one. There is also Women On Missions early on one Tue a month. I am working for that one. WOM is in the budget and gets money to spend.

Oh and Decipleship Traning (co-ed) on Sunday evenings before evening church. Two classes are offered each quarter and you just sign up and pay for your book.

We began the evening one because many can't go to the morning ones.

#20 Guest_GrandmaDee_*

Guest_GrandmaDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

Last night was our May fellowship. This month we had a tea.
Everyone brought finger sandwiches, salads or desserts.

We used the church's ivory colored cloth tablecloths, china and silverwear, which meant washing and drying dishes but we wanted to make this one really special.
We decorated the tables with white flowers in vases, tea pots which were filled with hot water for tea, tea bags in the center of the tables and little bowls of sugar cubes. At each place setting we put a packet of seeds with a Bible verse on it having to do with seeds.
At the head of the tables we had a wicker chair, ottoman with a glass cover, more white flowers and the two hanging planters of impatients which were our door prize this month.

Our theme for the night was Planting seeds of faith.
I led this month because Pam is gone.
We asked the ladies to share how someone had planted seeds of faith in their lives or how they had planted seeds in someone else's life.
I shared some experiences first and then was pleasantly surprised at how many ladies took part.
We had several guests who do not attend out church as well as a few ladies who had never come to our fellowships.
At the end I briefly shared the plan of salvation.

Next month I will not be here so will not be able to report on how it went.
In June we are doing backwards night. Everything will be done backwards.
The invitations which went out last night were thank you notes, thanking the ladies for coming.

It reads: "Thank you for coming to the
Thursdays Matter
BACKWARD NIGHT
June 26th
It started at 6:00 pm.

Thanks for bringing your favorite dessert or appetizer. I have always wanted to eat dessert first.
The door prizes that each lady brought were so funny. Lots of 'white elephant' gifts. What did you get?
And wasn't it a hoot wearing our clothes backwards. How fun was that!
Hope 'not' to see you."

They will begin the night by saying something like 'Goodbye, Glad you could come. Hope you had a good time.' Dessert will be eaten first so we decided to focus on dessert. Appetizers will also be a part of the evening. We asked the ladies to wear some of their clothing backwards and are going to offer a prize to the one who is dressed most backwards.

We asked the ladies to bring something for the door prize (instead of us providing it) and the last person whose name is drawn will win.

The room will pretty much not be decorated. They plan to clean the chairs and put them on the tables, place paper plates and napkins on the chairs. It was kind of hard to think of how to decorate backwards so not decorating seemed opposite of what we normally do.

I don't know what the program will be yet. But the evening will end with them welcoming the ladies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name